1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

starting out in 2007

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nickslawn, Nov 30, 2006.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I'm starting out in 2007, I have been on lawnsite for about 2yrs. I have worked for the largest lawn service in my area. It will be tight money wise so buying a mower, I will have to buy a residental push mower for the first year. I the average size yard I will be going for will be 20,000-25,000 sq. ft. Can you all direct me a to good push mower, perferably self propelled, and give me and ideal on how much I can get done with a small mower on yards size list above or smaller. I will need to make $500 weekly to be able to make it on my own. I this possible. Thanks in advanced.
    I have been pushing yards for 4 yrs with a 20" murray 8 accounts.
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

anything possible with money you will need to average atleast 20 customers with about a $30 avereage on price to cover fuel and other expences such as maintence to make the 500 also you seem like you have expirience so run with what youve learned and make the best of it on the push mower i dont know sorry

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You can certainly make $500 a week with some advertising. Should not be a huge problem to reach that mark.

As for a mower...well I started the same way really. The problem is a homeowner-grade 21" will not hold up all season. You would need a real commericial 21" model, and for what they sell for, honestly I would look around first for a used walk-behind. Especially if your average lawn is half an acre or so.
  4. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I would like a nice commercial grade mower but money will be tight till about mid yr then I can upgrade. As for having any real big equipment I can have a trailer were I live. I live in downtown apartments above commerical business. I will get a small storage building to store the mower and equipment when not in use. But not big enough for a trailer. Thanks for you encouragment and replies.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can strech the money I would get a Quick 36..but if not and all you can do is homeowner.....Get a Toro....IMO
  6. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

I have been using a Toro Super Recycler Model 20056 Personal Pace ( $500.00) for 2 years now and am very happy with it. However I mulch 95% of the time and when the grass is growing fast and your only mowing it once a week you're walking at a snails pace to give the mower time to get it mulched.
    Currently I am dilligently looking for a 36-48" w.b. to save time and get more h.p. to mulch faster.
    7 mows a week 45-60 minutes a mow!!
  7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

"7 mows a week 45-60 minutes a mow!!" How large are the lawns you are mowing? I couldnt see mowing 20-25,000 sqft lawns with a 21" mower and make any money without charging yourself out of getting them.
  8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The largest LCO in your area uses Murray or you have been doing it on the side for 4 years using a Murray?

If you have been doing this for 4 years plus you should know what a decent mower looks like.

If the mower you buy is junk and does not do a good job then you may find yourself mowing twice to get a decent cut. With that you will be money ahead to put a nice mower on credit and do a good job.

You could loose accounts because the lawn doesnt look good, is that a chance you want to take?
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Question...Do you have decent credit? If so I would advise you to secure a small loan from your bank and gt yourself a decent mower, buy some nice marketing materials.

Take it from someone who started the way you are talking about...That equipment is only going to hinder your growth. by mid season you won't be able to take anymore customers b/c you won't be able to handle them with the equip. you have.

If you buy decent equipment from the get go and market your self correctly, you pay for the mower and turn a profit by mid season. I don't know if your planning on doing it full time but It's def. doable if you spend the $$$ on Advertising and equip. Also if you live at home it will be much easier.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Also i might add...my above post is only if you are serious about building a business.

When i started i was a kid looking to make a few hundred a week for spending money, so equipment wasn't a big deal. But somewhere along the lines I grew up and wanted to make a living/lifestyle out of it.