1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting out in aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

How many starting out doing aeration Rent Machines ??? and does it still pay ??
  2. Team Lawn Care

Team Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I did. In my area is costs $25.00 / day for 1 machine. Just ensure you have several accounts scheduled in that same day. I scheduled at least 10 lawns each day I rented one.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ya have to be honest and ask yourself if you are man enough to hump that aerator around for 8 hours.
    Honestly, you will be whipped if you do any kind of serious square footage with some of the rental units that are out there. I started out renting also and it was nice when you are ambitious. Once you do it a while you see how nice it is to schedule at you convenience and now I just throw the lever and drive.
    It can be done and I have done it. It is obviously not the best situation but if you dont have enough accounts to justify your own unit then try it and see if you like it. Remember that once you buy a piece of equipment you have an investment that pays you back. When you are done with it you sell it and it pays you some more. Get your feet wet and then decide if its for you. Good Luck.

aug4 1033.jpg
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We did in the beginning until we lined up enough customers that wanted it done on a yearly basis. Currently we have a 16" WB, a 26" WB, and a 36" tow behind. It's a premium service that demands premium rates IMO. Period
  5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Look into renting by the week.
    Talk to your local rental yard about a discount off their normal weekly rate if you only use it Mon - Fri allowing them to re-rent it on the weekends which is their highest demand time. You should be able to get it for about $200 thats $40 a day or if your doing 8 aerations a day that's $5 a lawn.
    When I first started I did this for 6 week straight then bought my own. Now during the busy months I still do it when I have more work than my one aerator can do.
  6. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on renting to for my aeration jobs, i just charge rented price as equipment price to the customer, lets say you rent it at $25 dollars a day, and do maybe 5 accounts, the first account pays for the rental of the machine, and the other four are purely profit, thats $100 dollars in your pocket.
  7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

and after 1 day your spent with sore tired forearms from wrestling the machine around. I have to see what my total for aeration will be for this year and I've already looked into making sure I can have one at my doorstep (bought) in time for the season. PlugrPL800
  8. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

So your going to aerate 20 lawns a day for $475.00? Your out of your mind. Actually I need you to be here in September through the end of October. I'll keep you booked till your arms fall off.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

BUY the ONLY way to go. I got mine for less then $800 and it payed for itself in a week. In this area I make more aeration in a month then I can mowing for a season. That's because every lawn is 2-5ksf and is done 2-3 times a year.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You are not charging nearly enough!!! You are making $100 but turning down another $200. You should set a minimum of $60-$75 per lawn. You're leaving way too much money on the table.