starting out in lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Land Design, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Land Design

Land Design LawnSite Member

OK so here's the question.......kinda of a lot but any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance......

I have been in landscaping for 4 years and want to brach out into cutting. I wanted to know a few different things.
    1. is grass cutting going to help draw money in quickly and efficently as opposed to staying with landscaping only ( i would be doing 60% residential and 40% commercial ...2-4 acres)

2. brand of mowers ? I have researched and have found ex-mark to be the best deal / built/ dealer location/ and quality, what are your thoughts?

3. what kind of setup? I was thinking 1 rider and 1 walk behind. Do you think 2 riders would be ok ( i would prefere this but figured could not do all places with riders only)

4. Trailer setup....... I want to get a 20-24 ft. enclosed set up with racks on walls, lights, vents, shop at front. and use the extra room to store landscape equipment in back or front to take trailer to landscape jobs with me. your thoughts?

5. number of crew needed to cut/ whip/ blow efficently?

6. number of and brand of whips/edgers/blowers needed?

7.any other thoughts you have that would help me make my
    decision to cut or not to cut.

Trailer would be pulled with a 2002 f350 psd.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Land Design :dizzy:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

To answer your questions...

1. It will draw in money...but as far as I am concerned, cutting leads to the more profitable services like fertilizing, de-thatching, aerating, etc.

2. eXmark is good, but only one of many good mowers. Here in NJ eXmark isn't real big, whereas Ferris, Toro, Scag, and Bobcat dominate the market. Hustler, DC, Grasshopper, Gravely are virtually non-existant, but that is NOT to say they aren't good machines as well/

3. Have as many Z's or riders as you want/need. But you will always require a WB for where the Z's/riders can't go.

4. Sounds like a plan...plan on spending about 6K+ for that kind of setup. They have their +'s and -'s.

5. Number of crews...can't help there cause I don't hav a crystal ball to know what your jobs are/willing to be like.

6. Same thought here...Echo, Redmax, Shindaiwa, Little Wonder are all good manufacturers.

7. To cut or not to cut...hard for me to tell you one way or the other. Maybe some of the others 8k+ LS members can shed some light. We are going into our 9th year and 70.5% of our business is strickly mowing.

Hope that helps some...and Good Luck

ps. feel free to contact me at rspronck@aol.com

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

From my point of view, cutting grass is not a big money maker. It pays the bills and that's about it. I did however hear about somebody out west, IL? that only does commercial mowing, does about $11,000,000 in business a year and makes like $350,000 a year, profit.

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

gross sales $11,000,000 a year and only profits $350,000 a year :confused:

5. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

thats not very good at all in profit margin!!

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Land Design, where are u from in Michigan. I work in the Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area.. I do small landscape jobs but mow and do landscape maintenance..

It would definately help the flow of $$ coming in.. but keep u busier..

7. Land Design

Land Design LawnSite Member

moose,

I would be looking to cut in the westbloomfield/ novi/ troy areas

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

That is still 3.5% What do you all make percentage wise for a profit? If a company is running a legitimate operation, treating its employees and customers fairly... 10% is the most it can expect to make for profit. 10% is high too, very rarely will a company profit 10%

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

1: Mowing is a very BIG money maker and, yes it's totally worth it!

2: I would say snapper is pretty good and I haven't had any problems yet.

3: I think for the mowers get all wb's because they are more easy to manuver, and all around easiest as space and ur wallet.

4: Yes I think a 24' would be good because you could put a workbench @ the front and work onsite. It also gives you a chance to have a big advertising on the side of the trailer.

5: I've seen a guy go from a crew of 3 with wb's down to a crew of 2 with supersurfers but, I know u are gonna need a wb for sure on the hills.

6: All stihl products.

7: GOOD LUCK

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

A two guys crew works better than a 3 or 4 unless most of your propeties are one next to the other or really big, windshield time is a big loss.

I find myself in the opposite situation I want to do less mowing and more landscaping, because it genarates more income for me.
    But I have to have a mix of both.