starting out looking for prcing advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Afamilylawncare, May 1, 2003.

1. Afamilylawncare

Afamilylawncare LawnSite Member

A potential commercial client told me to make a bid and if he liked the price I could have the work, problem is i am a rookie and have no idea how to price, dont want to undersell my business, i am very motivated to learn and become successful
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe start by telling THEM the specs like: acres, trimming, edging?
  3. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Definately need more detail please!!
  4. laserman

laserman LawnSite Member

Bidding? Easy as pie. All yaarrddss ten Buuks:p
  5. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say it................BUT...............hit the search buttons and type in bidding questions or bidding help. At least some variation of that. There must be a zillion threads on the subject here.
  6. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

7. With experience, you’ll know how much time it takes to do an average lawn with the equipment you have. From an earlier post, you mentioned a 36” Walk-Behind and supporting stuff. Depending on what you spend on expenses like insurance, gasoline, supplies, etc., a profitable hourly rate for lawn maintenance could be in the $20-$30 range. If you were using a ZTR and a helper(s), your hourly rate might have to be $40-$60 to make a profit. So if you have an “average” lawn that takes you about an hour and a half, you’d multiply that 1.5 hours times $25/hr, and quote $32.50.

But then there are other factors. What if it’s a corner lot (same square footage) but 3 times the amount of edging around the curb. Is there a sidewalk? That could mean 9 times the amount of edging if it’s a corner lot with a sidewalk. Pool? Lots of landscaping? Loose pavers for a walkway (nightmare for string trimming)? Etceteras, etceteras. More time => more money.

Then there’s the local pricing standard. What’s the competition charging for the lawn across the street? Is there a 13 year old boy living next door, wanting to mow for $15? Don’t try to beat everyone’s price. You’ll actually earn respect and better customers by laughing off the neighbor-kid’s price. But if the competition is tough, instead of rounding up to $35, you may have to settle for $30.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Time seems to be the common thread when it comes to pricing. If you're using a 32 but will have a 48 or 52 in the future, price it for the bigger mower. You'll have to suck it up until you get a bigger mower but you'll be more competitive. Local competition is a factor also but, if someone gets you by 5-10 dollars, don't sweat it. You'll know you're in the ballpark. Asking is always good too. I asked tons of people what they were paying before I got into this. Then I sized up their property to see if it seemed high/low to me. Don't forget to figure your costs/needs and adjust as appropriate.
  9. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

10 bucks!!! D**n I was going to charge $18 and get rich. Oh well, maybe I can still pick up a few.:D
  10. nickm

nickm LawnSite Member

I charge $15.00 for any size lawn.