Starting out may need some tips.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Optionryder420, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Optionryder420

Optionryder420 LawnSite Member

Well, I'm just starting out a small neighborhood business (I'm only 16) I have one friend whom wants to help out and I have a push mower, gas weedeater/edger, and some electric hedge trimmers along with a few manual tools. Now for starting out my business I'm just Mowing Lawns, edging, trimming hedges, and laying landscape rocks and sod. I've had some experience in all of these tasks and I know what I'm doing quite well. My main concern is pricing, since I'm just a teen and I'm not a big lawn crew what should I charge for a simple yard mowing and edging? Well not really how much but how do I charge IE Size of the yard, obstacles to go around, etc.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Seanl33

Seanl33 LawnSite Member
    from NH

(AGE 18) HERE IS A BIG BIG TIP NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE GET WHAT U THINK IT IS WORTH.. OH YA ALWAYS LOOK AT THE WHOLE LAWN FOR ALL YOU KNOW IT COULD BE EASY IN THE FRONT AND A PAIN IN THE *** IN THE BAK

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Optionryder420,

You could figure out how much your expenses are and how much you would like to make in profit and go from there.

4. Optionryder420

Thanks for the tips.
    Seanl33, I do plan on going through the whole yard for a free estimate on how much I'll charge.
    Do you think I'll need more equipment though, or is this fine?
    The houses here usually reside on a 3/4 to 1.5 Acre lots, thats not the yard just the amount the lot is the house is on.

5. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

Try to figure around $50. per hour and you wont get hurt.

6. Optionryder420

Wow, I wasn't expecting nearly that much... but ok I shall.

7. luckyduck

luckyduck LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat as you. I am currently a highschooler but come March i feel like i could take this up a notch. This summer i have a few customers that i charged now after i have stopped way under, 20 bucks an hour. I believe i could have got at least 30 bucks.

8. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Mow, trim, blow - $25-$30 per mow on the smaller yards 1/4 acre Anything bigger I'd go $30 + per mow. Edging is extra. People (especially old people) Since you live in Seminole there's a lot of old folks will always want something extra done. You say the yards are 3/4 to 1.5 acres? Heck, estimate how long it would take and do what roadhawg said. :) You gonna bag the grass or just mulch? You gonna push mow the 1.5 acres? Get your friend and his push mower and it'll get done that much faster.

-You want your hedges trimmed? That'll be an extra
    -Need any raking? That'll be extra
    -Want me to mulch your landscaping? Buy the bags and I'll spread it but it'll cost ya extra

When I was 15 I started in my neighborhood doing 10 yards at only $12 bucks yard. Practially all 10 houses were on the same side of the block almost next to each other. No blowing or trimming of any sort..just mow and that was 20 years ago. (were blowers invented yet?) lol One day this lady wanted her hedges trimmed in the front and back, weed eating, edging, and I even swept the side walks and driveway with a broom. It took me about 4 hours...and I got $125.

9. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

Dont worry everybody was like that at one time or another.. I was. bid the job where you can work comfortably and not have to rush to make your money. and do be like some of the companies that will do every lawn for 20 -25 a lawn. Set a minumium for for cutting mine is $40. I have 58 accounts the cheapest is $40 and the most expensive is $150. But just dont sell your self short. you wont get anywhere like that

10. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

there are a lot of tips on the thread at the top (tips do's and dont's for the new guy) if you havent looked at it yet take a look it is very helpful.