Starting out... month by month

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by magicmike, Mar 23, 2013.

1. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

for those people who recently started a business within the last 4 or 5 years how many customers did you see within the first year of doing business. I am trying to get some numbers to go off of for my business plan

2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

20 is a good goal
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

network with other LCO's...this helps.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm going into my third season and I had 50 by the end of my first. Roughly half of those were biweekly.

I'm sure the numbers will vary wildly depending on location, equipment used, and types of properties.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

dang you guys are lucky. this is my third year and i'm just now getting close to 20.

i had 15-20 my first year then i lost about 3-4 because they moved. the next year i gained about 5 but then lost 4 more that moved. it's like i can't get ahead really. i actually have less now than i did my first year but i'm making more money. i have 2 that pay $125 a cut which is good money. 2 1/2 acre yards. every small yard around here the owners cut it themselves. i've had 3 estimates so far this year and i picked up 1.

6. OakNut

I don't know about "lucky". You're the one with a $125/cut account! LOL

My stuff is all small. "Push mower" stuff. I work alone.
    Like I said, the number will vary depending on how you work.

7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

30 regular bi-weekly's.

I could see someone getting 40-45 accounts in one season if they really tried.

8. OakNut

I didn't try hard.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

At least you know you aren't low balling. We've done 5 and picked up 2. I don't mind if we don't get all of them. The way I look at it is bid as many as possible and stick to a fair price or what you need to make and don't go below it just to get work.

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

1 our first season....

year 5 I think we hit 6?