Starting Out, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QUALITY LAWNCUTS, Mar 11, 2003.

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

Hello lawnguys and gals. I'm definetly a newbie so I just thought I would explain my situation and get some advice on what the experts think I am doing wrong or right. I just bought a 6' x 14' trailer tandem axle, weed eater rack, basket on front, and electric brakes for 1250. I am thinking of buying an Exmark 48" Lazer HP, on Thurs when dealer has their sale for about 6,400 03' and going with echo trimmers. I am going to target Res. at first then move to the big comm. I am a solo act for now but I have a good friend who wants to work for me. Oh yah I have also budgeted in around 1200 for marketing. This is kinda a scary investment being I have to keep my fultime job to pay the bills for now, but I hope and plan on making lawn care my fultime gig. Oh yah I have also got my license and I'm in the process of getting insurance. Do you vets think I am jumping in to far or what? I live in Northwest Florida and the county I live in is the fastest growing in more than half of Florida but yet there is only about 8 or 9 licensed operations servicing my city. Please help with any advice or do's and don't's Thanx, Dominic
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get your feet wet this year. Learn the ropes. Make the mistakes that you will learn from. Decide if you really want to give it your life. As owner, its a 24 hr day and 7 days a week. You never stop thinking about it. Don't worry about the helper just yet. Find some lawns first, then if needed get help. Read all you can here. Do a search for threads of people "just starting out". You will notice over the years many have started, but many didn't make it. Mistakes were made, no heart in it, found out it is really hot, etc.

I can be reached via email if you want to discuss anything.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Welcome to Lawnsite! Like Hoss said, do a search on this topic. There is also a "Just starting in Business" forum on this site. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

Thanx guys for your replies. I know this will be for me. My concern is $$$$$$ I have to be able to support my family. I have one 4 year old and a lil girl due in July. But I love the outdoors the sun and I'm ambitous and a hard worker. THANX FOR THE REPLIES. As far as equipment do you think I am on the right track?
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would get some accounts first. Alot of people jump into it and want to get out just as fast. As everyone else has said, get your feet wet first. Why spend 6K on a rider, if you don't need it yet? Let your machines work for you, don't work just to pay for your machines. There are alot of expenses in the beginning, don't spend money on unnecessary things. :cool:
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I'd have to agree with that .... no need for a Z untill you've grown into it .... get a New 36" HYDRO .... gonna need it for those resi's with small gates anyways n it will always be a useful piece of equipment even as you get larger

Good Luck in 2003