Starting out part-time....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by schanz, Dec 13, 2005.

1. schanz

schanz LawnSite Member
    from texas

I'm trying to figure out how to start up my own lawn care business while still working at my corporate job 40 hrs a week. I eventually want to quit when I have enough business, but that takes time. The pay and the benifits are too good just to quit and jump right in.

Some businesses allow you to work part-time in your spare time (evenings and weekends). But lawn care needs to be done during regular work hours. I doubt people want me mowing grass when they get home from work or on a weekend.

I could hire someone to do it for me, but then I still need enough work to keep them fully employed, plus, I want to be there initially to ensure quaility control and to come up the learning curve in the business myself.

Has anyone else crossed this bridge before? Any advice?

2. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

I'm doing the same thing as you are i work commercial construction 40 hrs a week and mow in the evenings my customers don't mind not one complaint just be honest tell them you do this in the evenings and most will understand i have been mowing for almost 2 years

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I think your going to find many people that work in the lawn maintenance field on a part-time basis. In fact it's how many of us started by mowing lawns in the evening after our regular 40hr/week job was finished.

When I first started out I was mowing customers lawns from 5pm to 9pm on many occasions. During the summertime hours when the sun stay up later people are always coming and going and nobody ever complained about us being at their home in the evenings.

If you do happen to find a client that doesn't want their lawn mowed later in the evening simply move them up to the first mow on your list. They shouldn't have a problem being mowed around 5:30pm or so.

4. wormburner

wormburner LawnSite Member

I to am in the same boat 40hrs and part time mowing.My problem is trying to get more customers.It's been hard to do when you work 40hrs and then try to go hang flyers after work.I think this year I'll try leaving my add in the local paper longer than trying to hang flyers.

5. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Full time job and part time LCO here also, but I will say that my heaviest day is on Sunday. Yes I do 2 or so each week night, 0 on saturdays as I set Saturdays aside for our lake, and I hit it hard on Sundays. Not one complaint, once in a while, like a holiday, I might get a request to get a normal Sunday account to Thurs or Fri due to family get together. But that is a very easy request to take care of. You can do it also.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this is a great way to find out if there is even room in your area for another lawn care company, in many cases there is not....

but dont plan on taking any days off, if you have any kind of success at all you will be working 7 days a week due to weather, and many other things out of your control

my boat stayed in dry dock this year, maybe next year too....

those who get time off in the beginning are a rareity