Starting out Slowly

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ELC Lawn Care, May 8, 2008.

1. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Brand new to the forum and to this business. I am looking at just trying to learn and gather all the information I can this year and start buying the right equipment to use to have my business up and running next spring. I work full time (M-F 8 to 5) I have no commute since I work from home, but I do travel out of town about 5 days per month. My long term goal is to build slowly until my wife finishes school in 3 years then look at being at the point of going full time.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I would say to start, just scan the threads in here for info on starting a small biz.

Also, if you are full time and traveling 1/4 of the time - you will not have time to service very many weekly mowing accounts (if mowing is what you want to do, you didn't mention...). You could try to get 10 accounts maybe and then your weekends would be full, or weekday evenings. Is there a chance you can downsize your hours a bit to give you more time to devote to future customers? I don't think you want to just be a weekend warrior with a full time job - if you have kids, they will not appreciate the time missed with them at all.....
  3. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My days out of town are usually a M-T-W one week, then two weeks later a M-T. I set my travel schedule.

Mowing and maybe some pressure washing is what I am looking to do initially, and would not turn down some minor landscape.

I also have a family member that would help out as needed. I was hoping to land about 6 to 10 residentials a week (12 to 20 total) and maybe 2 or 3 commercial for the weekends. My long term goal is to have my son in a few years join me in building this business.
  4. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

This is a great site, you will learn a lot here for sure. Nice to see another from TN.