1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting out this is what I have found.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shorts, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Shorts

Shorts LawnSite Member

First of all I would like to thank all you guys for posting all this info on here. I have accomplished nothing at work today cause I have been reading the site all day!

Anyways, like many I am going to be a newbie to this industry at full time for the 2007 cutting season. I have read many comments on advertising with flyers and how people are getting business. For me it was somewhat simple. I had 1 polo shirt made up with my company name on it and hit the road leaving flyers on doors and speaking with homeowners. What I found to be the big difference and what some have even told me is that they appreciated my apperance. So many guys around here drive around in dirty trucks wearing tank tops and cut off shorts then post on here wondering why nobody calls them. Bottom line is wheather you've been doing this for 20 years or 2 days the biggest thing you need to do is work that looks good and look good yourself...the calls will come. Don't show up in a tank top and smoke hanging out of your mouth. I smoke but I won't ever on a clients property.

So far so good for me, i've had people in person and on the phone want to sign a contract, however, I haven't even registered the company yet since I used to do it for cash on the side. That is my next step so I can get these people locked down under contract for next year before someone else hits them up.

I have never lowballed either. Most people I am going to be cutting are at the current rates others are charging in the areas. Those I am able to close at a higher number I am offering them a 2 year "price lock" for some added security for years to come.

Anyway, good luck to all the new guys like me and remember cut good and look good. There is more then enough work out there for all of us.