1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting out what kind of truck and Trailer to get

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by coolmc11, Nov 8, 2007.

1. coolmc11

coolmc11 LawnSite Member

Just starting out need to find a good deal for a truck. Have any suggestions on what make i should buy..Have $13,000-16,000 to spend on one.
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a used chevy/gmc 2500hd or a ford f250/f350 something you can pay in full and have no payments on but then something you dont need to put any money into. then depending on what equitment you have get a trailer bigger then you think you will need because no mater what size you get you will want bigger

hope this helps and good luck
  3. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what you need to tow to. You may not need the 350. Gas is rising to.
  4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a 99 F250 w/ 7.3 Power Stroke for $15K and it is a one owner lariat 4x4 crew cab. Beautiful truck. You could probably get a cheaper one out of state. I am just a big believer that for a 3/4 or 1 ton you just cant get much better than that 7.3 power stroke.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh, you can get a great 99-2001 250 or 350, and have room to grow the company.

MOWALLTHETIME LawnSite Member

If you are just starting out you have a few questions to ask yourself. First I would follow Zim Bib The Landscapers advice and have no payments, pay for it outright. Remember notes come every month regaurdless of seasons.Second is what type of wrok will you be doing not only now but in the next three years - five years. Are you just doing regular lawn maintanance or hardscaping, turf installation, plowing, or mulching. this will play an important part of what you will need. Third is probably the hardest of all things in buying a work vehicle. It is a work vehicle not and that is what you will use it for. I see a lot of guys running around in my area towing a 5x12single axle trailer with a walk behind on it and they are driving a f350 lariat crewcab 4x4 diesel with a 6"lift and huge tires all blinged out. that for most businesses is a personal vehicle not a work truck. these guys would not even think of putting gravel, or sand or mulch or even a sweaty crew in there trucks. I am not saying to buy a beat up rust bucket but be honest with yourself and your business needs and buy what will be most profitable for your business. Once you have done this you cannot go wrong with your purchase. I am speaking from experience and I have seen first hand what happens to businesses that over buy before they have the business to do so.
  7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats why you get a 99-2001 truck. their still nice and you can work out of em.
  8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Amen, nothin wrong with lookin good!!
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How many miles did it have when you bought it?
  10. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what kind of work you will do, but assuming it's mowing and landscape maintenance, I would look at a new regular cab half-ton Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Tundra, etc. Right now you can find many of them at 0% financing for 60 months, and deep discounts, especially on the 07 leftovers. I believe the payments are around $17/thousand borrowed over 60 months, so if you borrow $15,000, you'll have a payment around $260 a month. And you're not paying interest, so you're cruising on Detroit's (or Tokyo's) money. Keep enough in your checkbook (instead of laying out all $13K) to make 5 or 6 payments in the slow months, and with the 100,000 mile warranty, your truck costs are totally predictable. That's not the case with a used one, and sooner or later, it will need a brake job, ball joints (like my F350), or some other big repair, usually at the wrong time. The new half-tons are solid and reliable, get decent mileage, and can easily pull a landscape trailer all day. If you get bigger, and need a heavier truck for dirt or stone or something, buy a nice older one for a second truck.