Starting out. Winter planning.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Branching Out, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

I was reading another thread below and thought this would be a good thread to start for the new guys, as well as those that have been in the business for awhile.

I'd like to see what guys do for planning for winter in their busy season with their business budgets. Not just simply knowing your season length (wich should really be determined by the start and finish of income productive work) and how much you need to survive the off season and how much you need to save through the year an a weekly basis. (ie: I need 10k to survive the off season of three months. Therefore, I need to save that over nine months. $10,000 / 39 weeks = $256.00 a week)

But more importantly. What do you do to save that over the season.

Any suggestions?

2. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

i was going to ask the same question i was wondering what does it take to prepare for next spring because i have no work right now maybe still do a little leaf removal or clean gutters that all about have to do.
    :usflag:

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Good question, I too would like to know what other people do.
    Here's what I do during the winter.
    In the shop:
    I rebuild all my equipment, go through everything trucks, mowers, handhelds, sprayers. Change oil, filters, plugs, check belts, blades, hoses, do touch up paint and welds, run Seafoam into all the fuel lines/carbs. In short have everything good to go for spring. This is also a good time to evaluate what will need to be replaced or demoted to back-up status.

In the office:
    I set goals for the next year. I come up with my marketing plan. I pre-enter all the invoice info for existing clients for the next year- so when I need to bill them I just print up the invoice. I get all the info together for our accountant for taxes. I try to figure out what inventory I will need for the fert and squirt side. and finally, I goof off on Lawnsite.

4. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

My question is more of what you do during the year to save for the off season money wise. How do you save your money for that specific reason?

IE: Seperate account for winter monies, stash draw, etc.? Do you save a certain account or two every week, or do you pay a seperate account like any other bill?

I happen to do sealcoating too. So, every week, I use one day to do residential sealcoating. It not only covers my weeks payroll, but, I take a predetermined amount of that money and stash it away to another account like it was a bill and save it for winter use.....

What do you do?

5. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I currently have a fulltime week end job. I work Fri,Sat,Sun at a factory.this gives me about 27,000-30,000 per year + good benifits. I plan to mow about 25-30 lawns during season Mon-Thurs. Hopefully that will bring me somewere
    around 30-35,000 extra. For a combined total of 55-65,000 (not bad). I plan to net about 40-45% of that. On the off season I will do marketing and maintenace and more marketing to tighten my routes as the years go by.

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If your worried about your income in the winter then the best thing to do is supplement it with some winter work, or at least partially supplement your income.

There are many different things you can do each month (Nov-Mar) to help bring in additional revenue: snow removal (even if it's just residential), Christmas lighting and decor (both install & take-downs), sprinkling system shut downs, wood deliveries, tree trimming or removals, aeration, cleanups, debris removal, etc.

Start by sending out info to your existing client base listing the additional services you can provide them during the off season. You'll be surprised how many of them take you up on additional services.

On the other hand if your into taking the winters off then you better make sure you put the $256.00 away each week, possibly in a high yield savings account.