Starting out with $100 dollars and a half working K-Grow mower!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CrsCraw, Oct 6, 2004.

1. CrsCraw

CrsCraw LawnSite Member

hey I am planning to start my business, I am a part-time deputy sheriff and a full-time student. I want to do my biz. part-time for some extra cash since being a part-time cop doesnt pay anything, its basically an internship. My budget right now is $100 dollars. I have a K-Grow 42inch cut mower that I transfered my old 12hp engine from my previous K-Grow mower into (kinda Jeff Foxworthy-ish). I also have a residential MAC weedeater and a WEEDEATER crappy edger. Any suggestions on how to get started?

Kelly's Landscaping likes this.
  2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe take that $100 and head to Vegas or Atlantic City, hopefully you'll get lucky...

Seriously, $100, can't do much with that realistically. Best bet, get a $100 worth of flyers made up and pass them out. And keep your fingers crossed that everything keeps running.

Good luck

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Or, take a really big chance on getting approved for financing. Find a dealer that is signed up with some of the financing companies (I only know of eXmark with GE finance, because we aren't a dealer for any other mowers). Maybe get yourself a decent walk behind and use the same card you get to finance a decent trimmer. Market yourself correctly and equate your financing payments as the third recurring expense. Look around, there may be a program out there right now that is intrest and payment free for a few months.. something to get you started anyway.

4. CrsCraw

CrsCraw LawnSite Member

i dont really want to go into debt, i was more looking for marketing strategies. wanted to get yall brainstorming and see if you guys thought of anything i didnt. i was thinking the yard sign thing would be cool that i posted on another thread. thanks for the help and keep it comming please!

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Take that $100, save some of it for hard times, and invest the rest in that rider mower to get it in tip top shape for mowing, it's a tough life for a box store mower in the demanding area of pro-mowing. Use that until you can afford a newer, bigger, and better unit. Then print some flyers, put them up in all the gas stations and convienience stores around, and talk it up. Bring up your business everytime you can when you're at a fast food joint or any other kind of restaurant. Be willing to vary your services, first thing you may want to do after you make some $$$ is get a good blower. You may have to use a rake for a while, but when all of us first started, didn't we all???

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the same exact equipment I had when I started, all but the edger. My k-gro tractor, had a 18 briggs, which is powering my 36" w/b now. That equipment started it for me, you should do OK.
    I went from 1 yard to about 135 acres currently, of course I had to update my equipment. :)

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Take some of that money and make up some flyers. Save the rest for gas, and any emergency repairs you may need. Save every penny you can from the first jobs you get, and see how things go. Use that equipment until it can't take any more, and by that time hopefully, you will have enough money to buy something newer, and that time it takes you can research what in fact would be a good thing to buy.
    Some issues you will run into though, is starting out with no license and insurance may not be a problem in your area, but there is always a risk for something/someone to get hurt, so you may want to look into insurance just in case. The lawns will always be there next year, I'd hate to see you injure someone this year, and have any hopes of running your own business seriously shattered with an early lawsuit. On that same note, a lot of people have had to start without insurance to get started, just want to make you aware of that risk.
    Keep your positive attitude, and hard work ethic, and I see no reason you cannot make it work. With fall coming up, you can get a lot of leaf jobs,a nd fall cleanups to make a good amount of money. ALso, think about aerating, if you can rent one locally, and that can generate a good amount of money for you, depending on the market in your area.

Good luck with it all

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What are you going tow use to tow the mower? Trailor will cost a couple hundred alone.
    Wait and save, your not in any position to start a business. You have ins. to pay for before you cut 1 single lawn, becoase thats the one you will break the plate glass window if you don't have it.

Mac

Kelly's Landscaping likes this.
  9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Save your $100, you may need it for repairs or something that comes up. Do the flyers yourself, pull up a flyer wizard from your PC and then pass them out to friends & family only. I'm assuming you don't have liability insurance, and $100 won't buy you coverage, so you're only going to be able to mow for friends & family to start out with. If something minor happens they'll likely understand your position and let it slide. Anyone else...that won't happen. Once you build up some cash make the insurance your first purchase. Your equipment will get you started, it's the quality of work & making sure customers are happy that'll get you to the next level. Good luck!

Buck

10. CrsCraw

CrsCraw LawnSite Member

what is aeration? i mean, i know what it is from the title, but i have no idea how to do it.