Starting out with a commercial walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJIII, May 14, 2002.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

I would like to know is better to get a commercial walk behind mower like the exmark, scag, sapper,and honda.

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience.....YES. I ran 22" mowers for about 3 months then bought a 36" commercial. it paid for itself in no time with the shorter time it took me to cut lawns. Commercial units have better cut quality and most times faster blade tip speeds. spend the 2k on a new 36" exmark metro and you will not be sorry.

Scot

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

1.) eXmark
    2.) Scag
    3.) Honda
    4.) Snapper

4. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

I am with Scot and Kent Lawns all the way.You will be sorry if you don't start out the right way.
    I too started out the wrong way 22"
    push.I vote for Exmark all the way.

5. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

How long should wait before I buy a ZTR? And I also would like to what size trailer should I buy?

6. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

wait until it seems necessary stick with what you got until you feel that you arenet working up to your maximum potential. If you get some 1+acre accounts and feel bogged go for the ZTR but doen get one if you have .25 acre lots(makes no sense) 14" is what i got now seems to work good. I would go no smaller cause if the business expands so does trailer size needed!Buy the biggest you can afford 16' would be nice

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

cj,

bit of advice, if you can't pay cash for it don't get it. A ZTR costs 6k plus. Also as BLL said if you have some large yards then it would be fine but smaller ones a Z will not be worth it just starting out. I have 20 accounts and two of them are 1.5 acres or larger and don't need a Z yet.

On the Trailer issue. open trailer get a 6.5x16 ft with a drop gate.
    Should be able to find one for 8-900 new. an enclosed trailer shoot for a 7x14 to start and you better have a good truck with good brakes and a good brake controller.

On the open trailer get one with brakes on one axle. you will thank me later. that will add a few hundred to the cost but well worth it.

Scot

8. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Truck Wise? I am looking at getting a use S-10 chevy truck. I would like to know is a S-10 a good truck for lawn service

9. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

Go with a full size truck instead of a compact otherwise
    you will be limited to about a 12' trailer. I have a 16'
    tandem axle trailer and pull it with a 5.7 liter silverado
    and find myself wishing i had a F250 PSD.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. I think an S-10 is too small. I think you'd wish you went bigger and would beat the @#&* out of it in a short time. I've seen guys pulling small trailers with minivans and station wagons, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd say 1/2 ton full size truck as an absolute minimum and would go for a 3/4 ton if you can swing it. I have a 3/4 ton and the next will be a 1 ton dump (I'll keep the 3/4 ton too - better for plowing in my opinion).