Starting out with....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chopper67, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Chopper67

Chopper67 LawnSite Member

OK just want to get some opinions, here's what I'm going to start out with my 21" push mower back bagger self propelled in front Troy built residential, I'm going to start with just mowing, by the way this is for next year not now, my trimmer nothing fancy, and my hand held blower, till I start getting some regular customers then I will start to invest in some better equipment, here is what I was thinking....
    Toro 21" self propelled back bagger, not sure which model.
    Toro 36" walk behind, not sure if I can get a sulky with this smaller mower, if I can I will, some sort of bagger if they make one for a 36" not sure about the model but Toro for sure.
    Redmax Bp Blower, 7001 or 8000
    Redmax Trimmer, not sure which model
    Redmax Hedger
    Stihl Edger Model FC110 stick trimmer/edger
    some gas cans
    And when I get busy enough or with some larger accounts, a Toro ZTR 52" with a bagger attachment, a trailer not sure about the size, some sort of aerator, and fertilizer, and for fall clean up maybe getting the Little wounder, or some sort of leaf loader (collector) not sure which.
    Software to run the biz with, maybe Gopher or clip.
    A way to set up a office in the truck for a lap top and a small printer, and trying to except credit cards with the cell phone or a Small machine not sure which or really where to look.
    Lettering my Truck and equipment along with a sign for trailer, putting out flyer's, door hangers, newspaper, putting out the small yard signs if it's OK with the customer, and also out in town at some busy intersections, talking to realestate people, and of course business cards. And the biz name will either be Mr Mow It All or LaFata's Lawn Care, (my last name)
    Any input here would be very much appreciated, like which models to buy and where I can look for whatever it is that I have mentioned here.
    Any suggestions for me good or bad. or anything I may have left out?
    Thanks

2. Chopper67

Chopper67 LawnSite Member

bump it..............

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Chopper, it sounds like a plan, But If I were you, I'd spend WAY more time on all of the details of the business end, than worrying about what equipment you'll get. If you develop a well researched and I mean WELL researched, business plan, including a projected income,a SALES and MARKETING program, getting incorporated, drawing up contracts, setting a specific corporate policy's, how you will handle employee's etc. I tell you this to hopefully save you from a LOT of the mistakes I made this year.. If you have a GOOD plan, stick to it, and work SMARTER, not harder, you'll get all of the biz and be able to get your equipment with cash money, which, BTW, I agree sounds like some EXCELLENT choices..

God bless you man, do you're homework, and you will reap the benifits a lot quicker than if you're biz plan is flawed..

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the details I mentioned about the biz plan were only the tip of the ice berg, there are many, many more things to consider, seek the advice of PROFESSIONAL, legal and tax advisors.. Even if you don't plan to be a huge corporation, the properly thought out biz plan should be considered Mandantory.. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just hate to see others suffer. beware of some on here that will tell you otherwise....

CamLand likes this.