1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rochester, Feb 18, 2001.

1. rochester

rochester LawnSite Member

Im considering getting into the business of cutting lawns.I could use the extra $$ Im a cop and my schedule would allow time for about 10 lawns per week. Right now I have a sears ridding mower(will upgrade asap)and a gas string trimmer. I would like to pick up a small trailer a blower and start soliciting. One of my 1st concerns is I drive a car. Would it be so bad if i started the business pulling the trailer with the car? Any answeres to this Q. or any other advice would be truly appreciated
  2. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

First welcome brother. I am Retired Baltimore City Police. I would use a truck. It looks better, there is room to put clipping so on in the back and it will support the weight of a trailer much better then a car.Get yourself a used of new wb mower. I started out with a 48 inch Ex-Mark and a 21 inch snapper. The snapper was to get into the small back yards. The best trimmer line that I have and others on the site found is cross fire by echo. I use a Shindaiwa blower (back pack) others use Sthil and echo. I belive that these are the top 3. As for a trailer you are saying you are going to get a small one. If you do get one will sides so you can haul leaves and mulch with. You will most likey find that your small trailer will be to small. Think about a 12,14, or 16 ft trailer. This way you do not have to lose on the up grade. I hope this has helped you out some.

As we always said at shift change "be carefull out there"

Good luck and read the past posts.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

lawman has got some good points. i started out a couple of years ago with a 5 by 10 trailer, and a couple years in, ive already upgraded to a 8 by 14 enclosed trailer. i would recommend starting out with a 48 inch walkbehind (scag or exmark) and get yourself a good back pack blower and a line trimmer. i too recommend getting a truck. after that your set to mow.
  4. rochester

thx guys. I appreciate the info.

5. rochester

Its nice to see someone enjoy and prosper after law enf.
    I work with a guy at the Sheriffs Office who left the Baltimore PD about 7 yrs ago, Andy Deliser, maybe you know him? He wasnt there long...maybe 2 yrs.
    Sorry for the public msg. You have no e-mail icon. If you have e-mail let me know.
  6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

My e-mail is wooggie@worldnet.att.net I did not know Andy.