Starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Regal lawn care, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Regal lawn care

Regal lawn care LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I'm 16 and next year i will officially start my Lawn care business. I was thinking about buying either a '97 Chevy 1 ton Z71 extended cab, Only $5,200, or a '97 F-150 XLT regular cab for $5000 which would you recommend? I'll put pics up of the 2 trucks soon.

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Easy...go with the Chevy...you will have less problems

3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

how many miles?? v6 or v8 in them...the 1ton will be costly with gas the way it is...what other equipt do u have??

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

get the extended cab it will come in handy.Besides F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead . Should say enough

5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly...also Fords Only Ride Downhill :nono:

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The name on the front is meaning less. Eveybody will answer with there own likes and yet have no reason other than backing up what is in their drive-- about as meaningfull as telling you there fav color truck.

This is a business and this will be a business truck-What matters is ROI and not if your date likes riding in it on Sat night. (that is what your car is for)
    So Why do you need a 1 ton at this point. If all you are doing is pulling a light landscape trailer a 1/2 ton will be fine. A 1/2 ton will be a LOT cheaper to service, Every part of the 1 ton will be more money, ( and if you are buying a 5000 dollar truck you will be buying a lot of parts)
    Next thing to look at is gas mileage. a 2-4 mile per gal difference in mileage can be as much as 5-6oo dollars a month in overhead. These are the things you need to think about.
    Discount the guy that says that you need a big truck because you will grow into it. Bull hockey-- if you are not making profit you will not grow. Work at a profit from the start and when you grow buy another truck with the money from your business, Buy what your business need to make money now- you are in this to make PROFIT-- not impress your buddy.

Be sure to get the blue one-- the red ones are junk:laugh:

7. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I'm gonna buy me a ford truck and push it up and down the road. Yeehaw!

8. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I have both fords & chevys & haven't really ever had a problem with either one. If you are strictly mowing you don't need 4 wheel drive all it will do is suck more gas & cause more problems. Look for a truck that is economical & swallow your pride for a few years, you will be much better off in the long run.

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

FORD................LITTLE BOYS WEAR BOWTIES:laugh: :laugh:

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I'd say go with the extended cab just because you will be happy that you have the extra room to store stuff you dont want layin around in the bed. How many miles do each have on them, have they been abused, do they need anything, etc? These are the things you have to think about, not whether chevy is better than ford or what not. No one truck is going to last longer guaranteed, those are just people's opinions. Get the most truck you can afford and know you will have the fewest problems with