1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobCat#1, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

Hey guys just wondering,i want to maybe do some lawns part time since i have a full time job.Maybe 10 yards,would i need insurance or a licence to do this?Thanks alot
  2. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

I think that depends on where you are located, my accountant told me I dont need anything but my social security number so that is all I use for now. I also have a full time job but get off 14 days a month to mow so I keep a lot of yards and also just landed a nice commercial property, so during the mowing season I work 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week, but my wife gets to stay home with my babies so I dont mind the extra work for that. Be carefull not to get to big because it can be real headache scheduling around your primary job when you loaded to the gills. It is very rewarding though.

ROCKKER LawnSite Member

Do you have enough money set aside to replace a broken window? Do you have enough money set aside to settle the bills if a kid playing in the street next to where you are mowing gets pegged by a rock and seriously or fataly hurt....?

Are you willing to risk it? Insurance = $300 yr

The above = $100 , $100,000 ??? , $1,000,000 ??? God only knows......

Just my take on things... Best of luck to ya...
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

yep, said that right, what is your financial freedom worth??
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's hard to do 2 jobs at once.....

good luck
  6. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i work for a lanscaper and do the same on the side without the owner knowing (i would never steal or "hurt" his accounts) until i get on my own 100%. it's not easy at all, but possible.

and yes, get a business license and insurance. a dba can be $10, $50, etc. depending on your state. some places you register at the local town hall, some you register at the state.
  7. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

To me the worst part of trying to mow and work another job is the scheduling, seems like something always comes up to throw a kink in it. The work part isnt that bad its just trying to keep everybody happy all the time, which I guess is hard on anything.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

truer words have never been spoken!

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I know the feeling... I work 12 hr rotating shifts and get 14 days off a month in a 28 day cycle. So during the week I try to do the other jobs. But stuff happens every week. But I love owning my own business.
  10. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

If i'm just going to try 10 yards a week,how much insurance should i get and what does your insurance costing you a year?Thanks