Starting out.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapeoplesbarber, Jul 18, 2007.

1. dapeoplesbarber

dapeoplesbarber LawnSite Member

I am a full time barber. But I love to do grass. I was just wondering how should I go about starting out I really only want about 10-15 acct. I will only be doing it part time. Any help/info would be helpful.

Thanks

Da Peoples Barber:usflag:

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I would utilize your hair cuttin' business to drum up mowing business (you know how people like to talk while they get their hair cut). Also a cheap yellow page ad helps. Then there's door-to-door too (helps keep your route tight). Hey, does Farrah Faussett still have a house long the ocean there? (I've been to Corpus many times). Anyways...mowing a few lawns will help you keep in shape. Good luck.

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Depending on how serious you are about mowing will determine what equipment you want to buy. But I still recommend to most people who are starting out to buy a 21" push mower, weed-eater, and a blower. If you are, without a doubt, extremely serious about mowing, get you a used 32" or 36" walk behind, a nice weed-eater and a blower, all commercial-grade.

And as it is mentioned above by AmericanLawn, you have a perfect opportunity to advertise your mowing business - in your barbershop. You can cut hair and cut grass, and be successful. Good luck to you.

4. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

If you are like me.....I live in a development and can easily get 10-15 people. If you do not have to travel and can just walk from lawn to lawn then this is the best route. Yes, use your shop to generate mowing accounts....but I personally I would guage the tippers Vs. the thanks for the cut guys. (no tip) The tippers would be more willing to not haggle, and in turn you can give them a good price...not a low ball price. Have a game plan in case you break down. Get to know your local mower shop and have the numbers on hand. You can also give them a discount on a cut if you mow the lawn. (just an idea)

5. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

personally.... I kinda like the idea of having a sign in your Barber shop that reads" see what I've done with your hair, you should see what I can do with your lawn" and then kinda let that be your free advertising, as well as flyers, local newspaper ads, especially if you only wanna do a handful of lawns....I would even reccomend advertising in your church bulletin, you already have name recognition, might as well utilize it! The closer your clients, the less you'll have to do to make some money.