Starting Out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by justanotherkid, Oct 23, 2007.

1. justanotherkid

justanotherkid LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if this would be enough advertisment and if this is enough money to start with

A couple things is that im starting in the spring and am gettin all equipment paid out of a loan my parents are giving me....around 10,000 for everything except truck

1,000 flyers every week starting in Jan - may
    500 flyers a week
    Ads in the newspaper

Once summer hits ill try to put out around 500 flyers a week

My goal is to get around 30 - 35 yards per week and gross atleast $500 a week by ateast mid-July at the latest

My Questions

Our my goals attanible for a first year lawn service or are they out of reach

Is this a big enough loan to start off right...leal and everything

Is this enough advertisment to meet my goals

Thanks for all Replys
  2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Your advertiseing might work, but you prices are way to low. 30-35 weekly yards at $500.00 a week is $14-$16 a yard.......
  3. justanotherkid

that is pretty much my goal on yards but my min. of $ a week made so if i had that many yards i would probley make around $1000 weekly and i donno that just seems out of i wrong on this or what
  4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say it's possible if you work hard. I have a hard time handing out flyers, mainly because I don't want to get rejected. But if you learn to overcome it, it can be a great way of advertising. At least that's what I hear.
  5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to have enough time to hand out 500 fliers per week and still keep up with the 30-35 accts? What about inclement weather putting you behind? Have you thought about this? I think you have good goals, but I would charge more for the mowing definately. $500/week can be attained with less then 35 accts.
  6. justanotherkid

i have a couple of friends willing to help so i can get alot more done then if i did it myself......

and im going to put those 500 flyers out untill i reach my goal
  7. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

^ i was gunna say, you will probably end up with a lot more than 30-35 customers if you kept handing them out every week lol

word of mouth is a great advertisement. do a good job and you will get a couple more people.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

10K will be more than enough for some nice equipment. Since you are set on 10K, buy the best you can afford, but do set yourself a budget.
  9. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ha 10k would be great to start out, when we first started out when i was 15, i had a 82 mercury marquis, put 2 toro push mowers in the back and weedeaters in the back of the car.... then about 1 year later i had about 30 lawns got an omni! the best!!!!! year after that i had 80-100 yards per week out of the omni, made a wooden trailer got a craftsman lawn tractor omni did great pulling it! and then we put the mowers on the trailer and weedeaters then we put the grass trimmings in the back of the hatchback.... then got a 92?? van and we did it out of that.... then a 82 dodge so your doing dam good with 10k

i know your parents are helping you out, but doing it yourself feels so much better. i am now 25 and have a heck of a biz going and paid cash for EVERYTHING until this year when i bought a 02 chevy.... do not owe much on the loan, i make sure i pay double a month to build up credit
  10. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

I got two mowers for sale in ohio 1 2004 36 exmark belt drive 12.5hp kaw and a 2002 52 turf tracer hydro 23 hp kaw for sale 4400 for both and one ez chute and a sulky both on 52.