Starting Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrnok, Mar 13, 2002.

1. jrnok

jrnok LawnSite Member

I recently stated a lawn care business in my area of about 10,000 people. At this point I do not offer any spraying or fertilizing services but my main competition does. They, for the most part, are a reputable outfit but after contacting a few of his customers it seems they are starting to let alot of things slip through their cracks. I do an excellent job and try and do anything extra for my customers that I can. I want to grow my business as fast as possible so how do I go about getting into weed control, fertilizing, etc.? Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your help.

J. Neslon
    Lawn Industries

2. Commander

Commander Banned

Get in touch with your local extension service. They will have books, and / or a course for you to take to get certified for applying pesticides. You are legally able to apply fertilizer to a property without any kind of liscense. However once you put even an ounce of any form of pesticide into that mixture you need a liscense. Seeing as how you say you just started the business I doubt that you know enough to perform pesticide free lawn care so therefore you are going to need pesticides. You also have the option of subbing out the fert / pesticide apps until you are comfortable with diagnosing problems and knowing what nutritional requirements different types of turf have.

3. jrnok

jrnok LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I will definitely contact my extension office. I have a good relationship with an owner of a local weed control company and I thought about approaching him to do sub work for me. This would allow me to advertise and offer a wider range of services other than just mowing and trimming. What kind of liability do I take on by subbing out this work?

4. Commander

Commander Banned

I am pretty sure that so long as you are not doing anything but pricing the work then all you have to do is carry comp so that you can actually pay this guy. Make sure you get a copy of his applicator's liscence as well as a copy of his insurance certificates.