Starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FL_Rob, May 2, 2002.

1. FL_Rob

FL_Rob LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Okay guys... I'm not from the lawn care - landscape profession however after being laid off three times in three years from "high-tech" companies I'm looking to start a business of my own.

I have a high level of business acumen and know a little about lawn care, landscaping and the like. I mowed lawns as a kid and did pretty well with my dad's Lawnboy (he made me replace it after the first season).

I'm looking to start a lawn care business, primarily focused on up-scale residential and would love any recommendations on how to get started, equipment selection, business strategy or pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

2. RV_Landscaping

RV_Landscaping LawnSite Member

Before anybody else says it (because everyone says it to everyone) use the 'search' up at the top to look some stuff up....

But really--how much are you looking to spend? I mean, i'm sure you have a budget--but are you really low on funds? etc. need some sort of mower....Trimmer/edger....blower....and depending on the work your doing--other items. I'd just start with the basic equip until you actually have a decent number of customers....and then add stuff as need be. Don't buy extra equipment if you don't have customers :) In fact, if you can...see if you can line up some people before you even buy the mower etc. (although at this point in the year it may be tough)....

Just be careful, do a good job at a decent price...and you'll be all set.