Starting Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ken's Lawn Service, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Ken's Lawn Service

Ken's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

OK Guys, give it to me. I am just starting out and want to do it RIGHT! If you have any advice or otherwise just give it to me. I have all the want to in this world but you guys know this better than I do.

I have the equipment thanks to a very understanding wife and the belief that finally there will be a way.

If you can help, I will listen to anything you have to offer.

Thanks in advance for your help and GOD BLESS!!
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I am certainly not trying to blow you off but I would suggest you try the search feature at the top right, there is a WEALTH of info on just about anything you could ask. The best of luck to you.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

1.- Get licensed to do business in your community.
    2.- Get business insurance.
    3.- Get any licenses you may need if you plan on fertilizing and or spraying for weeds and pests.
    4.- Get incorporated.
    5.- PAY YOUR TAXES NOW, do not wait. Find out the limits and when you have to pay and PAY THEM.
    6.- Pray daily.................hourly, you'll need it, but it helps.

Do the search thing, and just log on and read all the threads that you can learn from. Feel free to participate, but searching is good before posting a question that may have been asked a million times before.

Good luck and God bless you too.
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Started my business last year when I was 45 y/o. Did not a thing about this business. Worked for someone else for 3 months while considering buying his business (Didn't).

Dittos on the info sugested so far. Especially licences and taxes. Get a good inexpensive CPA too.

After doing this by myself since Aug. of 2000 I see, in my maket in Tallahassee, that the consistantly good $ is in commercial accounts- small to mid-size.

The only residentials that I've kept are the ones that I also do their business.

Stay away from female seniors! They will kill you!

Find something that sets you apart from your competion. My strong suit is that I'm older than most. I turn that into an advantage and tell prospects that "I am running my own business. The buck stops with me! I've been around the block a time or two and I know what's important to businesses and customers. I will not get so big that I cannot do the Q.C. on each job.

I also emphasize that I have a million dollars of coverage for any mishap. I tell 'em up front that I'd love to quarenty no pebble will fly through somebody's window or nick their car- but I can't. When I'm on your property I take the risk.

Have 37 accounts and generate approximately $4,500 in monthly revenue.

Go for it.

And search, search, search!

5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Always remember anything worth doing is worth doing right. And nobody will take care of your business better than you, so always give at least 110% and you should go far. Oh BTW did anybody mention the search button up twards the right hand corner. Its PRICELESS!!! Goodluck to ya Marc