Starting Out

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawncare3, Nov 25, 2002.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering should i start out woth used equipment or slightly used to start out?;)

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

new or used? Its up to you and how serious you are about getting in and thriving in the business.

If you have the capitol, I would go with new. Your going to have enough problems and struggles with starting a new business, that would be one less thing you'll have to worry about.

If not, used is an option too, just spend the time to check it out good. Really good! Don't rush into something, theres plenty of used equipment out there to buy, you don't have to jump on one without spending the time to check it out.

Now, the slightly new / used thing is strange. I would say it depends on price. When looking at "slightly" used machines, if the price is only a couple of hundred difference from new, I would think its worth it to go new.

Good Luck!

3. Also, if buying used consider your mechanical skill level.
    Shop labor and parts could make that used equipment cost more than new.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have pretty good luck so far buying my mower just slightly used. I saved $1500 buying a used Walker with only 9 hours on it and buying an Exmark TTHP 36" with about 15 hours on it saving about $1000. I wouldn't buy any 2 cycle equipment used, unless you might just be using it as a backup. I bought my overseeder new, but saved about $1000 by driving 4 hours to get it. I bought my dethatcher and aerator used also, saving $700 to $1500.

The deals are out there, you just need to take the time to do the searching.

Good Luck
    MATT

5. Eirik

Eirik LawnSite Member

I think there are certain things you almost need to buy new....And certain things you can get a way with being a little used. In other words some things you just can't find used or if they are used, it's tough finding them in good condition. Sprayers, hand tools etc. Trailer, both of mine are used. Trucks, used. Walkers, both used (tough to afford those new!). Honda 21's all new...Those machines are my work horses along with the 2 stroke Echo stuff. I get the stuff I plan on running into the ground....new. And even then, they last about 2 seasons.
    You have to buy Fert,Gas,Chem, machinery repair on trucks and equip....why would you want to spend a bunch of money in one area when you really need it in another