starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by andrewm, Jan 23, 2004.

1. andrewm

andrewm LawnSite Member

I think some of us newbies are trying to start out too gung ho with equipment. I would urge you to not go out and buy the top of the line equipment before you have an acount. Ease into it, unless you have been a professional and know all the pros and cons. I learned that the hard way in real estate. Remember everything you buy has to pay for itself or it's not worth buying. I would rather use the modest tools I have that take more time than go bankrupt my first time out. I would also recommend reading the rich dad/poor dad books to all future businessmen. It has a lot of info on cashflow.

2. GREENSPEED

GREENSPEED LawnSite Member

This man is correct.Good equipment is nice but dont go broke.Remember to get the best equipment you can AFFORD!I found this out the hardway.

3. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I've spent money on only quality equipment so far because I can. If anyone were to take out a loan and buy alot of high end equipment that would be ridiculous. If you can pay for it cash and still pay the mortgage and it will help you in the long run spend the extra money. If this is a side deal to put money in your pocket then stay away from anything more expensive than a used 36" wb. I have been pushing my start date up for about a year or so now and it looks like another 3-4 months on top of that but this is what I've been doing buying what i can "afford". The place I've been working at for the past couple years has been extremely beneficial knowledge wise too in all areas of hardscape. Which hopefully will make up 50% of my business. For some reason alot of people out here do one and not the other and people want one guy for everything, one guy one bill. Anyway this site is great and thanks for all the tips I can't ask at work or they'd start getting paranoid that I was gonna up and leave and start on my own. I yeah I am.