Starting out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by newblade, Feb 10, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I am just starting out and I am only going to be spraying three areas. I want to buy a cheap sprayer that you pull behind a lawnmower or something. I think that I want one with a boom and I am wondering if you charge about the same as you do for a lawn mowing?

Thanks, :dizzy:

2. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

What type of materials are you "spraying", fertilizer?, herbicides?, insecticides?

3. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I will be spraying for weeds like dandelions and others.

4. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

To answer your initial question, it depends on the ammt. of turf you will be treating. Could you use a backpack sprayer? If not, you probably shouldn't use "something cheap". Herbicides can cause extensive damage to a lawn if not applied properly. Also, are you licensed to apply these products?

5. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

your criteria is pretty vague and you probably wont get the answer your looking for. To say its more or less than a mowing varies greatly on where you are what your overhead is etc. etc. My suggestion is to use a backpack sprayer for starting out. They are cheap and you can find something that will suit your needs as you grow! As for pricing the job a simple formula is time + materials x .49 = price for the job. good luck

6. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

It will be about six acres and yes I went and took the test, I haven't gotten the results back yet so I don't know yet but feel like I may have passed. I would like to have something with a boom on it.

7. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

not trying to pry into your business but how much were you thinking of spending? just because you have a boom does not make it a good unit to have. there is a tow behind unit in The "Northern Catalog" with a boom but what kind of quality are you getting. You have to remember that when your go cheap and make a mistake during an application grass will die!!! Its not like when a mower breaks down and you can fix it with tools. Once you spray or spread pesticides there is no getting it back and the results are there for everyone to see.

8. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I don't want to spend no more than 5 or 6 hundred :dizzy:

9. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

sounds like your getting a backpack

10. Jeffsmowing

Jeffsmowing LawnSite Member
    from ohio

If you wanta go cheap and you only have a few big lawns I made 26 gallon rig that fits on one of my lazer z , it has a 12 volt pump and a 9' boom, I have under 300 bucks in it, I call it my poor man's permagreen. I still have to use a back pack for the hard to reach places but for what I do with it it does the trick. I just use it for weed killer.