starting own lawn service and would like some real helpful advice..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by abitgreener, Dec 5, 2006.

1. abitgreener

abitgreener LawnSite Member

NEW here...To start off i'd like to say that i've busted butt for a well known lawn service 6 hard yrs and would like to start my own...
    i would like to know the legal ways to start(I have customers lined up for the 07 growing season)...thanks alot

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

you need insurance maybe licensing depends on you're area,sign's on you're truck, commercial plates,contracts,insurance being the big one.depends on you're plans & goals.

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: oh you should have lawyer,just in case.

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I hope your lined up customers are not your boss's

5. abitgreener

oh no... these ppl are local neighbors and friends

6. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to lawnsite. I'm just wondering what company you worked for. Im here in minnesota and have seen the big ones. Are you in downtown or somewhere outside of minneapolis? I can't help you much for start up becuse I am not sure of it myself yet. Insurence, Get licensed, pay taxes, etc. I belive that is all you need in minnesota. Not so sure about commercail plates?

7. abitgreener

aw man thanks alot matt...you know the big one chem lawn... ive had it with them.

8. abitgreener

oh and another thing i jus got recertified for the 07-08 with the company applictors license...will i have to retest and all the good stuff to get my own..?

9. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Chem-Lawn use to make everyone that worked there sign a no compete clause did you have to do this? If so you may want to check with a lawyer to find out what your options are.

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member