1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting Part-Time

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tiff58, Aug 6, 2007.

1. tiff58

tiff58 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site, but I have gotten a lot of useful information just by looking at all of your posts. My boyfriend and I have just moved to Eastern Pennsylvania from the south (Tennessee) for my job. He had a landscape design and maintenance company in Tennessee for about 7 years, but is now working for a company. He would love to get back into having his own business, but is thinking of starting it up while still keeping his job at this other company. Starting small, having a small crew do some lawn maintenance at first. Also possibly doing some design work (but just designs, likely no installation) on the side. Has anyone started their business this way? If so, do you have any tips/ideas? Thanks so much for your help!
  2. herb900

herb900 LawnSite Member

My partner and I are both teachers so we are in it part time. Our time can restricted so we had to be careful how we go about this business. We mostly mow, but have done a variety of other lawn associated work when it come. Our main thing is coming up better strategies that help up mow more efficiently and faster without giving up quality.

The biggest things so far that have helped up is.

-selectively advertise. We used mainly flyers and door hangers to try to keep our accounts closer together and keep a better clientele.

-invest in good used equipment that will help you mow faster. With a little patience and a some research, which lawnsite.com is the best in my opinion, we were able to invest a reasonable amount of money and now have equipment that allows up to better use our valuable time. We obviously lean more towards speed, so it look like sometimes we have alot more mower than we need for some lawns.

-We avoid accounts what we know will be less effecient. For example, if we know the person wants us to bag everytime we are there. We are willing to bag when it's needed, but doing it everytime really slows us down. We'd rather charge a little less for a lawn that want strictly mulching and/or discharge and then be able to more than faster.

-The hardest for us, is knowing when we are at full capacity. So far we've been okay. We just try to add one account at a time and see how it goes.
  3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Sorta. I started three years ago just because i had A. Cheap access to machines, and B.a ready source of (PITA) customers. That was a year of a really bad drought. But each year, i get a little bigger, and enrolled in a landscape design program at my local jr. college, and a got a job as a paid intern at a pretty swell landscaping company, to further my skills. I have bought everything i have, and it all started with 300$ of eBay money.
  4. tiff58

tiff58 LawnSite Member

Thanks so much to both of you! Your advice is really helpful!
  5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i think that is how most of us started, i think its hard to imagine starting in full bore unless you buy someone out. good luck, the rewards are worth the time and effort