1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting Price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by naten07, Jul 13, 2007.

1. naten07

naten07 LawnSite Member

I am just now starting my mowing business and I have a limited perspective on how much to charge. I talked to my dad and he came up with the plan to never charge below $30 dollars for any lawn that takes less than 30 minutes because otherwise its not worth my time to take a trip to said location. Any lawn that takes longer than 30 min will be priced at $12 dollars for every fifteen minutes of work (this would be like $36 for 45min. and $48 for every hour). For pricing lawns whose times fall somewhere between the 15 min increments I would round it down to the nearest increment if it is only 5 minutes or less (For example: if it is 50min of work I will round it down to 45min and charge $36 dollars). If, however, the time is within 10min of the higher increment I will round up (For example: if it is 51-60min of work I will charge $48.
    By the way I use a new 48" Ferris IS 1500Z, a new Echo Trimer, and a blower to do my jobs.
    Is this a good system? Am I charging too little? Too Much? I need help!
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't take on a lawn for less than $33, $30 is not bad...DO NOT GO BELOW THAT THOUGH...it is not worth it. I think your minimum is fine but for larger lawns I think you are low...but you don't have much overhead it seems so maybe it is fine for you.
  3. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Ric. I do not even back off the trailer for under $30. And most of the guys around here don't either. I have a lawn that takes me an hour and a half and i get $110 for it. I guess it all depends on where you live, competition and how much you want to make...just my opinion though! :)
  4. LTLS

LTLS LawnSite Member

Hey FinerCuts,
    I'm new at this, too. If you don't mind me asking...how big is the yard that you are referring to (1 1/2 hours @ $110)? Right now, I'm charging $30 a cut (for a family member) for a yard that takes me and my partner 1 hour with 2 36" Exmark WB (with sulkies) and one each of our hand held equipment. But we're about to pick up some more yards that are about the same size or maybe slightly smaller. With us being new, I'm afraid to over charge.
    I'd appreciate any input, thanks.
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Never be afraid to charge what you need to make a living & survive. My minimum is $30, but people have to catch me in a really good mood or be really good looking to ever get that. Typically my smaller residential lawns start around $50 & take me an hour or less. I try to keep as many in one stop as possible & I use referral bonuses to get that. There's no better advertising than a happy customer!
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

30 bucks for what is likely an acre or so lot?

Way way way too low.

30 is my minimum as well, and I rarely charge that. If it's a postage stamp that takes me 15-20 minutes solo to cut trim and blow, yeah. But anything even a hair larger I'm upping the price. I have a couple that are around 7K square feet and I get 40/week for them.

I know its a family member, but I'd hope you up your prices from the example you gave there.