Starting Problem 2003 Snapper Z-rider????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fastballbaker, May 4, 2006.

1. fastballbaker

fastballbaker LawnSite Member
    from TN

I've been having problems starting my z-rider. I turn the ignition switch and I get a click..click..click...It will not turn over.

I have checked the starter...it is good.
    I have cleaned the battery post and changed the battery...it is good.
    I have changed the ignition switch..it is good.

If you turn the switch enough times...several..it will finally turnover and start.

Am I missing something?? Has anyone else had this problem? What are some other possible solutions? Thanks for you help..fastballbaker

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

check ground connection, often times it will be corroded where it connects to the frame

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

battery cable corrosion inside of the wrap???????

4. fastballbaker

from TN

I have a snapper z rider 2003. I have a problem with it starting.
    When you turn the ignition switch..you get a click..click..click.
    If you keep turning the ignition switch long enough, if will finally turnover and start. I have tried several things.

I have cleaned all the posts and connectors... They are good.
    I have replaced the battery. It is good.
    I have replace the switch. It is good.
    I have taken and checked the starter.. It is also good.

Has anyone else had this problem before? What are some other possible
    solutions that I may have overlooked?

Thanks fastballbaker

5. fastballbaker

from TN

Thanks...I will try and maybe one of the two is the problem.....

6. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

It is either in the solenoid or in one of the safety switches, I changed the solenoid to one from auto zone. I used one that mounts to the fender and it has worked great for over a year. You can jump it with a screwdriver (solenoid) to see if this is definitely the problem. P.M me if you need more specific instructions.

7. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

It is either in the solenoid or in the one of the safety switches, I changed the solenoid to one from auto zone I used one that mounts to the fender and it has worked great for over a year. You can jump it with a screwdriver (solenoid) to see if this is definitely the problem. P.M me if you need more specific instructions.

8. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

If you have access to a volt meter, measure the voltage on the small terminal on the starter itself. I'm assuming you have a solenoid shift starter (looks like a small version of an old small block chevy starter). DO NOT unplug the wire for this test. Test the voltage WHILE the starter is failing (just clicking). You'll need a second person to activate the key for you. Solenoid shift starters need a MINIMUM 9.5 volts to activate. If you voltage is below 8 you probably have a supply line voltage problem. Contact Snapper to see if they have a repair kit or wiring change to correct this.

9. ihredneck

ihredneck LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 & 2005 Snapper Z-Riders 73" decks with the Kubota D722 diesel engines and I had the exact same problem. The solenoid on the starter would click sometimes several times before they would turn over and sometimes they would immediately turn over and other times they would only click. To start them I would cross the small terminal on the solenoid with the large terminal. If the mower turns over with this method then your solenoid IS good and you have a GOOD ground also and no need to chase around ground issues or positive battery cable issues. I ended up getting a service manual for them (btw, anyone who wants it let me know and I'll email it to you) and followed the wires through. I checked continuity between the blue wire connection on the ignition switch to the fuse panel. Then from from the blue wire connection on the ignition switch to the blue wire terminal on the parking brake safety switch. Then from from the blue wire connection on the ignition switch to the yellow wire connection on the PTO deck switch. Then from from the blue wire connection on the ignition switch to the white wire connection on the starter solenoid. By doing this I found several connections that had continuity but had a small resistance greater than the resistance created by my probes (touched the probes together and got about .06 ohms). So I pulled the start fuse and cleaned it and the terminals in the fuse panel, plus I pulled the fuse panel off and cleaned all the dirt and stuff behind it. Then I cleaned the connector going into the parking brake safety switch and all the connection points and picked all the dirt and grass out of the connector. I did the same for the PTO deck switch and also for the quick connector in the wiring harness between the fuse panel and the parking brake safety switch. After cleaning all the dirt and grass out of all those connections and plugging everything back together I have had no more problems and they start right up. There wasn't that much extra resistance from the dirt and grass, but it was enough to keep good current from flowing through the wires. So I'd say just get your air hose out and disconnect all connectors and blow out any and all dirt and grass and polish up the terminals as much as possible. Then add a little dielectric grease to keep corrosion from happening and you should be golden! Side note my dad has the same mower as I do except with the Kubota gasoline engine and he has the same problem and a starter and solenoid did not resolve the problem, so probably this weekend I'm gonna fix his too, and he also occasionally has the same problem with the electric clutch not engaging fully sometimes. I think it's just a matter of cleaning up the connection points and we would all be happy!!! No reason to modify with a relay and spend any money, just take the time it would take to modify with the relay and clean up the connections...simple enough!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. ihredneck

ihredneck LawnSite Member

I had problems come back with starting, and here is my solution.
    Dad has the same mower except with the Kubota gasoline, I depined all his connectors, polished the pins with emery cloth and then after putting all the pins back in their connectors put dialectric grease in all the pin holes. No problems anymore with his mower.