Starting problems - Kawasaki FBJ460V-DS07

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by cmarino, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cmarino

cmarino LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

In 2001, I purchased a used Ransomes 36" mower. Model M3601 (belt drive) Serial number 000165. At the time I neglected to ask about number of hours on the machine. Just needed a mower ASAP. For the past 6 years, I've used the machine to maintain my own 1 acre yard (mostly grass, very few beds, etc). From the moment I brought it home it has been a headache to start. Takes about 40-50 pulls plus lighter fluid to start. Almost unable to start it if the outside temp is < 70F. Items replaced:

Carburetor
    Spark plug
    Electrical square piece (29 1C2J stamped on the side of the part) - sorry for the lack of part ID. I mis-placed my manuals.
    Fuel filter

Any other recommendations to look into for repair?

A couple of alternatives - $2200 for a new/used 48" Yazoo-Kees OR brand new Bobcat "Classic" with a Kohler. Just moved and now have 2 acres of land. Thinking an upgrade from 36" to 48" is in need.

2. ac4510

ac4510 LawnSite Member

The first thing that I would do is perform a compression test on the engine to find out what the condistion of the moter is.
    Sounds from what you are saying that the engine is getting tired. The compression shooud be around 90 to 120 PSI cold. If it is below that there are so things that need to be addressed. The thing that I would do is bring it to a shop in your area and have them do a engine evaluation to find out exactly what the problem is. Should cost less the $100

Hope this helps