Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Metroman, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I got a Tiller off of my uncle the other night that had been sitting in the weather for 3 year. Took the thing home put a drop of gas down the spark plug hole and carb. pulled a time or two and fired right up.

This is what i dont understand, I let the thing run for about a hour just to run the old gas out then put it up. The next day i went to crank it and nothing. Try to start it the same way and nothing. The plug is getting fire, you put a little drop down the hole and nothing. It just back fire sometimes it seem like it wont even burn the gas that down the spark plug hole out.

Can anyone help before i take it to the shop?
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a briggs or tecumseh? either way I would rebuild the carb and clean the fuel tank. replace the spark plug. that should do it. there was probably a lot of crap in the tank after 3 years. it would have been better to have dumped the old gas out and filled it with fresh. let us know what happens.
  3. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I'm thinking that it is a 5.5 B&S Troybilt.

I did Drain most of the gas out and put new in when i ran it. I'll try to fool with it some more today.