1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

STARTING RedMax equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just wanted to check with RedMax owners and make sure I'm not doing something wrong with these demos. The first one I tried (2300) started OK, but it was not Strato-Charged. The second one (2600) started out bad, which I figured would improve with break-in, but it's only gotten much-much worse.

Basically, I just flip the start switch in position, prime it, choke it and pull, and this was the starting instruction I was given.

The 2600 started at hard to start, to really hard to start in the morning and 6 pulls on average thereafter... to now it does that crap where you yank and yank, then it like hits immediately like one fire of the plug and dies immediately. What a real PAIN!

I had planned to go back to the dealer, give him field feedback and buy either a 2401 or a 3000. And I had been feeling pretty comfortable about that since other folks don't seem to have the same starting problems. I figured it was just the 2600, just this unit not quite right, or something I'm doing wrong.

But as bad as the 2600 was at the end of this week, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling uneasy now. But I really do want to give this dealer my business too. I'm almost to the point of just telling him the truthful field report, which he will get either way, buying myself a 104+ bump head, some other items and being on my way.

Is it the way I'm trying to start it?
    Is it just this unit?
    Is it typical of the 2600?
    Is it typical of the strato-charge engines?
    What?

Anyways, I need to figure this out and get back over to the dealer already.
    Should have really went and done it today... but...

2. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

Are you holding the throttle wide open when trying to start unit??
    Seems to help on strato charged

3. Envy Lawn Service

No, but I'll try that by setting the throttle lock maybe.

I know Stihl has a start throttle position and I thought about doing this, but just assumed it would not work since the engines will not accept any throttle without dying until it warms up.

But still I'll try it... THANKS.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I am no expert on Redmax but it would sound like something with that particular unit. I assume you are not a newb to the world of 2 cycle power equipment.

When you do get it started does it have good power and run/idle fine?

Holding the throttle open will help with starting just about any small 2 cycle engine...besides the ones they make it impossible to do so on...

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

al of my redmax trimmers start on the first or second pull . the strato usually on the second .

Are you holding the throttle wide open when trying to start unit??
    Seems to help on strato charged

thats what i do on all of them

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Prime twice,choke, pull, pull again, let it warm up for about 30 seconds and im off... two year old bcz 2600 strato

7. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problems with my 3000 starting. It takes 45sec. to warm up but never any trouble actually starting. Sounds like there is a problem with that unit.:waving:

8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a 2600...only had a little problem when I first got it during the break-in period. I usually crank the throttle though and get it on the 2nd or 3rd pull--which I dont mind cause of love that thing. Sounds like a faulty unit--thank God for the 2 year warranty huh...take it back

9. Envy Lawn Service

Well I want to believe it's something wrong with just this ONE unit.
    Guess I'll be kicking myself in the butt if it's not and I buy a 2401 or 3000.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I really think it thats one unit...Ive had nothing but great results from Red Max trimmers.