1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting repair business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J-Trucker, Jan 19, 2001.

1. J-Trucker

J-Trucker LawnSite Member

This isn't lawn care but related. I'm currently training to be an outdoor power equipment technician. When I'm done I would like to try and start my own business servicing and selling new/used equipment. I would like some suggestions and any information on starting a business and getting suppliers. I would also like to sell new equipment such as chain saws. How to you get to be a dealer? Any info you can give me will be greatly appriciated.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Call the manufacters of the brands you want to sell. There is usually someone at each place that is in charge of this. They in turn would probably contact a Rep in your area to then come talk to you about this.

I think they want you to attend a schooling on their products too. I hope this helps.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I thought you were going to start a service
    go to them etc.I do some of that. If you
    do never give a price on sharpening blades,
    some ofum been on there since NOAH BEECHED HIS
    BOAT.40 dollars to sharpen on a mower that
    cost 150 -15yrs ago_Or worse yet break or
    strip the spindle bolt.I wanted to provide
    a service thats needed but would nt advise it
    much to others.
  4. Tucker take a look at your market to see if it could support a mobile repair service. With a cube van and a few grand in parts you could do driveway repairs for home owners.

If you could make your self availabe after 5pm you could go right to the locations of a LCO and PM and repair his units to be ready for work the next day.

I would buy and repair salvage machines over the winter and sell them in the spring. A 14-16 ft cube van with overhead space over the cab for parts storage with a electric eqiupment lift would work. Electric lights and strip heat
    make a cozy winter workshop.
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Once again lawrence has a great idea!!! I would love to be able to find someone that could come work on a piece of equipment after work hours so it can be ready to go again the next day.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My wife suggested that yeaterday! She said it would be good if someone would come in at the end of the day and P.M. all the equipment, sharpen blades etc. It gets pretty time consuming to do this after a long hard day. I would pursue this if I were you. Hook up with some of the bigger LCO's in your town and try the mobile thing. It might save a big company some money on hourly help, they could also work right on up to quitting time not stop early to do maintenance. Something to think about!

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The guy around the corner here used to work out of his cube van for 15 years. Planted himself in a shop last year so he could also sell equipment retail.

He would get a premium for not having to pick up and deliver, and the customer didnt have to have the machine in a shop for weeks. You would leave the mower outside or in an unlocked garage or shed and he would do all service right there.

Our local Sears service center does all mower service this way, nothing is brought back to the shop unless you carry it in yourself.

There are local tire intallers and oil change co's who work this way, I would think the mobile service is the way to go what with rent utilities etc the way they are.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You need to too talk to grassmaster! Hes been in the business for a while and can tell you all the ins and outs. Go to his website at http://www.lawnservicing.com and email him. Hes made some very extensive posts on here about that very subject in the past.
  9. BIG D

BIG D LawnSite Member

I own the largest outdoor power equipment dealership in Colorado. I would be more than happy to give you all the numbers I have to get you started. The mobile repair thing will work well just be sure to close the back door to the truck. One) I guarantee you will have the customer leaning over you wanting to see what you are doing. Two) you can't work under those conditions. Three) the next time it happens, they aren't gonna call you. They saw how you fixed it and will do it themselves the next time. You didn't go to school for nothing. Be nice, tell them it's against your insurance rules for them to be out there. If they got hurt being around you, it wouldn't be good. It applies if you had a land shop also. If you want Email me at dj@powerequipmentdealer.com. Good luck.
  10. J-Trucker

J-Trucker LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips!! That mobile repair sounds good I never thought of that. I'm going to start it out of my building first I have it all setup and ready. BIG D, I would like those numbers I'll send you an email. Thanks again for all the info keep em' comin!