Starting slow in the irrigation field

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 8, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I read the thread at the top of the page about getting into irrigation but it really did not help much.

I live in KS and would like to spend my extra time this year studying about the irrigation field and next year getting into repairs.

Here is what I know.

I spent 2 years after HS working as a plumbers apprentice so I know my way around pipes. From plastic to copper to steel.

I know a little about programming a system just from experience in the field.

I know how to replace heads and how to position them.

My question is what can I study to increase my knowledge? Im looking for websites or books.

For now I just want to do repair for my current mowing customers and maybe down the road do installs. Start slow for now.

I checked with my local community college but they dont appear to offer anything related to it.

Also what state office would I need to check with? Dept of Ag?

Thanks.

2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

3. IN2MOWN

That should keep me busy for a while.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What happened to the plumbing gig?

5. IN2MOWN

I really enjoyed it. I learned a ton from new construction rough in's to repair but I was young at the time and decided to try my hand at school 2 years into it. My boss was not happy and did not want a PT guy so I left to go back to school and got a job cutting grass. The guy was flexible with my school and actually encouraged me to go and take time off to study if I needed it.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you had skills at plumbing repairs, it might be something to not shut the door on. A plumbing license is not a bad thing to have.

7. IN2MOWN

I never shut the door on it. I just never got back into it. I started cutting grass and landscaping and fell in love with it. Worked for a guy for 5 years and then went out on my own 8 years ago.

Im at the point where I want start diversifying and I thought sprinkler repair would be something that does not have a high overhead, its something Im interested in, most of my customers have systems and I know a little about it already.

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

irrigation.org

9. IN2MOWN

Thanks tom tom