Starting Stihl BR400 Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Jun 30, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought this blower off of Ebay, and for the life of me I can't get it started. Are there special starting instructions? I didn't see a primer bulb, is there one? Is the throttle supposed to be locked wide open? What am I missing here. I won't have a manual.

Man this has gotten to sound like a stupid question on this site.

Derek

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike LawnSite Member

Don't worry about it!!! Locate the choke switch on the rear of the unit. It's a black knob. Straight up and down is choke. Horisontal is no choke. Switch to on "I", throttle locked to 1/3. Two pulls with choke on (or until it trys to turn over), turn choke off and in about 3 more pulls it should start. Good luck.

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There is no primer bulb. Just set the switch to on, set the choke and open the throttle lever to full speed. Pull the rope 1 or 2 times and it will try to start. Then turn off the choke and pull 1 more time and it should start. They are very easy to flood so be careful.

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike LawnSite Member

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Fireman described my exact routine!! Dang It's a pain. Every time.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't seem so hard to me, Fireman's method works for me. After the first time of the day, No choke needed.
    Crawdad

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I like stuff that's 1 pull and go, like my Kawi trimmer, It's my fault though, I was warned Stihl's were a PITA to start, but I was trying to save a buck over a 750 echo or a big Shin....

8. drsogr

This is what I get from buying from ebay. I was looking at it, and the spark plug wire was broken and pieced together with what looked like a paper clip. I am going to go buy a new spark plug wire, spark plug, and air filter.

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

that "paper clip" is a the clip that hooks on the end of the spark plug it has a sharp end that plunges into the wire then the boot slides on after that

10. drsogr

Man I am slow when it comes to learning stuff! I really need to take a small engine class!