Starting the Dormant Seeding Now

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Is that mix of yours, granulated or spray??? I use Momentum spray...

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

What was the soil temperature? My opinion is you will have no weeds next spring.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The soil temperature was 33 F. The dandelion weeds look slightly injured after 48 hours. Cold today , but we expect a brief warm up and warm rain--about 60 degrees--about 4 days from now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Smallaxe

Well the ground never froze here either and now we have a few more warm days... I'll spray weeds this weekend if the rain allows and wait another week for dormant seeding... :)

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I got b$tched out by folks on another site cuz we had freezing temps. Today was nearly 70. 14 day weather forecast calls for 40' and 50's. Weed control will still work, and "dormant seeding" sure as hell will.

I say to all, go for it, and don't be afraid of hard work or adverse conditions. Get er done.

6. Smallaxe

I'm curious if you are using granulated weed control this late or is it strictly spray now???

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We never use granular bwc. Always liquid. Our pick up truck spray rigs have been removed & winterized. Earlier this week, we replaced the liquid bwc in our T's with RV anti-freeze. (low temp was 12) We will switch back to running liquid bwc in our T's this week to finish the season (by Thanksgiving). Then put RV anti-freeze back in. It takes about ten minutes per T to swap out liquids. We lift them up with a forklift to completely drain the saddle tanks.

8. Smallaxe

That makes sense,,, especially for this time of the season... :)

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

This week I’m doing a broadcast dormant seeding on a rougher low maintenance property. Basically a semi rural type location. The owner is very green minded, doesn’t mind weeds and has zero intention to irrigate....unless it is near his garden area. I steered him towards pasture grass to make it easier. I mow his weed patch every 2-3 weeks and he is one of my best paying customers for time spent. :)

This will be preceded by a reciprocating aeration to vertically till and intentionally open up the soil. I expect the frost heave to work well with this help. The plugs per square foot will be 3-4 times as high as a single pass with a rolling tine aerator. I will be doing a single pass with this machine.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you save much by shallow cultivation--say go 2 inches deep with more holes per sqft? I think it was Larry's idea--you don't need to go deep when sowing seed.