starting the unknow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rob112381, Oct 1, 2006.

1. rob112381

rob112381 LawnSite Member

I am 27 years old with a new child and a high maintinance wife.The problem is that I have been in restaurants since I was 15 and I know absolutely nothing about this business, but I do have what it takes to run a business. My brother in-law ( which is a very good friend of mine ) he does know a little about lawn maintinance, but not a lot. I learn fast and so does he, And we both heard the overhead is low and the profit is high, is this true? And does anyone know how we could start this up?

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you want to do this you would be much better off going and working for someone else,at least part time for a year or two. there is alot more to it than just go by a lawn mower and count your money.And as for low overhead high profits if you are legit with insurance and lisence and such then the overhead is not as low as you think. like i said work for someone else for a while and see if this is really for you.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Ditto. I'd find a large company that does construction and maintenance. Try out both fields of the business and see it you really like it. You have an advantage with your age and that you have a family so you might be able to use that as a bargaining chip for your pay. There is so much more than just mowing grass. What happens when you get asked what this bush is and when it should be trimmed and you have no idea. You don't want to took like an a** to a potential customer. Ask many questions and be eager to learn.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: Who told you that!!
    Your competition is Little Johnny down the street doing lawn for 10 dollars to the retired guy looking for a way to get out of the house and every laid off factory worker! So do you really believe thare are high profits-- to run a True Business with the insurance and taxes and equipment needed to do the job right, I think you will find a lot of overhead and a tight profit margin. You can make money, and good money, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of investment. After a few years you can make a living and feed a family- to make real money it will take building a business with employees and hands on oversight. This is a hard way to make a living as a start up but you can do it with work.
    Good luck

5. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

Yah, nothing is as easy as it may sound. If it were, then everyone would do it. Any if everyone did, then there'd be too much competition which would drive down prices and put some out of business. The market balances out. It seems low cost till you're in it for a while and start getting repairs and other expenses you may not have expected. And you have to have insurance. You are risking losing your house etc if you don't. After being around awhile you will see the cut-throat competition from all the cheap charlies out there, and the goofy customers you run into now and then, and the ones who don't pay on time etc...yes, it can be profitable, but no, believe me, it's not all fun and counting your money. If it was as easy as you may think, there wouldn't be so many guys getting out of the business all the time. Good luck to you, and if you're serious about this, do a little research. Besides working for someone, a good way to learn, you can also get free advice from the Small Business Administration. Check m out in your local phone book. Also, talk to people in the business you run into and ask lots of questions about expenses, problems etc. Good luck to you.

6. thill

thill LawnSite Member

This response may be a bit personal but you mentioned a high maintenance wife. The advise below is meant as friendly advice.

I gotta tell ya, you will have to put in massive hours (not just in the field doing yards) to understand what you need to do and then to get it done.

Be sure that you and your family can handle those hours before your leap. It it looks good, go for it.

Tom

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

LS has hundreds of threads that speak of exactly this situation, entry cost is low, training is next to nothing, low prices, heavy competition, very high churn rates on folks getting into the business and out soon thereafter. I understand the resturant business also has a very high churn rate too, but the stakes are much higher. In the grass mowing business, the stakes are low. Maybe your target is above the grass mowing part, but if you are planning on a more successful business, then education with regard to horticulture will be beneficial.

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

as Rod father would say, I'M A MILLIONAIRE I 'M JUST DOING THIS FOR A HOBBY!
    WHEN YOU CHARGER 35- 50 PER WORKER AND PAY FOR EQMT,INS,TAXES,LABOR,GAS,TRAILER,TRUCK,BREAK DOWNS,STOCK AND YOUR HOME, I FORGT YOU HAVE A PARTNER, THAT HELPS