Starting to dry up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have noticed that up here we are starting to finally dry up. Lawns are not growing that much and they are getting dusty.

Anybody else notice this?

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, We have'nt had much rain here lately. When we do get rain, the benefit is not lasting with this sandy soil. Water just runs right through.

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys do when the lawns slow down?

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Catch up on scheduled maintenance at our commercial contracts. Search for add-ons at existing customers.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

mostly landscaping installation

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a bit relieved it is slowing down, I can finally catch up on my shrub trimming jobs and round-up.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's slowing down here too. I'm coming home with dust stuck to my SPF 50.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yep here in PA the soil is finally drying out and grass growth has slowed considerably. Now we'll finally have some time to do all the odds and ends on all the properties that have been neglected this season because we had to spend so much time mowing.

oh....and next week will be my FIRST round of golf this year.....

no complaints here on the slow down of grass growth

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

all or nothing here, with all the sand we have here on the west side of MI the drainage was great during the monsoon, Now the water is gone, lawns are used to rain every day, they are starting to turn. If we do not get any rain this weekend next week will be a breeze. In fact its Friday morning and I only have about 3 hrs of work schedualed, time to clean the shop, maintenance, and have a few beers!!!

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I have not noticed that. Here in Oklahoma it has rained every day for a week. Surprisingly, we are still on schedule. We all went out yesterday after the morning gully washer and worked until dark. Today looks to be dry.