1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting to hate my Redmax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new redmax trimmer this spring, it worked great for a month or so then it started getting hard to start. When i first got it it would start in 2 pulls, then it got so bad were it took 10 pulls. It has been back to the dealer twice and they got it better to where it takes a bout 4-5 pulls. I had planed on going to all redmax 2 stroke, but am now thinking thats not going to happen.

Anyone had this problem?

I am starting to hate this thing.

Oh just as a side note, i just bought a stihl fs85 with the split shaft at a pawn shop for $70 it is about 2 years old and starts on the 2-3 pull, EVERY time. I guess its time to pay a visit to the stihl dealer.
  2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer 3 months ago and it always starts on the second pull! I love my Red Max and I would buy no other brand trimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Same with us. Stihl is more dependable and outperforms any other brand we have tried. The new 4 Mix trimmers start 1st or 2nd pull.....day in and day out.
  4. Eric 1

Avery, did you have a redmax that did this?

And yes the 4mix is nice two.

I think as soon as stihl gets a good powerful blower out i will start going with stihl products. I have never herd the first dad word about them, and besides i already have 2.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Or better yet remove it.

First thing I do when I get a new Redmax is remove the spark arrestor (aka horespower restrictor)

It clogs with charred carbon. Your old Redmax machines will run like new and your new ones will run like a scalded dog.

12+ Redmax machines and never a problem as a result.

6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, I'm in the same boat. I bought the 2600s two months ago as a trial before I bought five new ones. Couple of small problems then the engine seized yesterday. My old redmaxes could not be killed with a sledgehammer but these new ones have me concerened.
  7. Eric 1

It is new, and if i do that it will void the warranty.

Would it realy clog that fast?
  8. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

Cloged mine in 4 weeks. Pulled it with some pliers and wow, what a diff. Starts better and runs a hell of a lot better. Love my three Redmax's now that the arresters are gone.
  9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My friend bought a Redmax about a month ago and he is having that exact problem. It used to start on the second pull and now it is taking about three minutes of pulling to get it started. He took it to the dealer today so I will see what the dealer had to say.
  10. McCauley3

McCauley3 LawnSite Member
    from WF, Tx

I've had the same experience with carbon build up in the spark arrestor on a redmax. Clogs pretty quick on my new 2600. Keep a pair of pliers and a steel brush with you and it's quick fix. The spark arrestor on my redmax backpack blower seems fine, never clogged like the one on the trimmer.