1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting to outgrow my 2-3yd one ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lfthk1, May 11, 2008.

1. lfthk1

lfthk1 LawnSite Member
    from ma

I have a 2003 paid off gmc one ton with a dump body, that I can put 5 yds of mulch on. I would like to get something a bit bigger, that I can hold 10-15 yds of mulch on. Any thoughts?
  2. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, the guy down here that owns the shop next to me has a big statebody dump truck for sale, but I don't have the cash for it. 90's Chevy I think.
  3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Why can you only fit 5 yds on a dump body? Should hold at least 10yds. Do you have a pic of it?
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not only what can "fit" but what the material weighs... Add up the truck, dump body and material and a one-ton can't hold too much.
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

5 yrds on the 1ton I had would handle the load, but there wasnt any room left. Had 12" boards on it to.
  6. lfthk1

lfthk1 LawnSite Member
    from ma

I put side boards etc on it...anything much more than I have would def. be overweight/strange looking
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my f550 is my dream come true. it has a 12' landscape dump, side door, rear tailgate and barn doors, solid sides. i can fit well over 10yards, no problem and still have room to throw a few wheel barrels and tools in. its the truck in my sig. the 12' body is the way to go and it holds the weight nice. i can haul 5 yards of topsoil with it too
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

how about a dump trailer for the larger jobs......less maintenance, less ins. and can be used for other things like hauling your new Bobcat....
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why did you buy a 1 ton truck :hammerhead:

A 1 ton truck is pretty much useless nowwadays you need minimum 15,000lb gvw to carry any weight. The newer trucks are heavier so less payload.

Say a 3500 Chevy with a dump body ends up with a tare weight of 7500lbs minimum that leaves you with a 4000-4500lb payload.

The cheapest option is probably a dump trailer as the others mentioned. I'am not a big beleiver in dump trailers but if you have wide open spaces and places with easy access they can do the job. The places I go the truck barely fits.

There is no point in going with a larger truck than a 550 if your going to be staying under 26,000lb gvw medium duty.

Another option is upgrade to a cabover with a 19,000lb gvw the tare weight is usually a little less they are not big power towing machines. Most cab over trucks carry loads better than towing a load. If you got a cab over with a 12 foot dumping flatdeck with sides you would have decent manueverability.

I have a 03 F-450 with a 12 foot deck I go into some tight places. As for hauling I'am paid by the hour I'am not going to grossly overload my truck to save the homeowner money. If the job requires two trips the homeowner pays for it.
  10. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

5 yds of topsoil with a 550.......... legally ???? Isn't 5 yds of topsoil about 12,000 lbs ???

CT. DMV is running a daily special these days......I think it's a $buck a pound :)