Starting-To use a lawyer or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ericalan33, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ericalan33

ericalan33 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Im trying to start a legitimate company, was wondering if anyone used a lawyer to start their LLC? Why or why not? What do they do that I can't do myself?

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

CPA 1st, and lawyer after you get on the ground running to set up last will and testament.

3. ericalan33

ericalan33 LawnSite Member

Thanks, looking into it now.

4. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Having a CPA and a Lawyer is indispensable. Pay a little more and get a good one. This is one of those things you don't want to skimp on.

5. acculawnsystems

acculawnsystems LawnSite Member

I agree. Good legal advice is very important. They can help you avoid many problems in the future. Once you get your LLC established. You should ask the lawyer to draw up as contract for services. This will allow for you to established your terms with you customers so that you lock in contracts and both you and your customers know the parameters. We have a terms of agreement section on our website that allows for the customer to get instant online quotes and if the price is agreeable the customer then agrees to our terms before we perform the work. This happens with not much effort on all part and the customer knows exactly what the agreement is from the beginning. Go to acculawnsystems.com for more information.

6. zacher

zacher LawnSite Member

I was going to get a lawyer....then he tried to charge me $1000 to set up an LLC ...in the state of Georgia fees are only $100 I knew this going in; he tried to sell me on how he would do this and this. I left never called him back. Set up my LLC and here I am. The only thing I would recommend is a CPA; if you cant afford one maybe try an agreement to maintain their property for their services.

7. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. My mom works for a lawyer so he set me up at no charge and his fee to represent my LLC is $125 a year. That way if a lawsuit comes along everything would go to him first. CPA is critical he saves me a ton of money come tax time and I'm not the smartest so I keep everything take it to him and he says pay this.

8. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

it is best to have the help of a good lawyer......

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I used my lawyer to setup my company back in 05'. Very good friend and a great lawyer, made the process easy. Im meeting this week to have him setup the new company im starting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Funny.lawn guys are the cheapest people around yet we want to be paid the big dollars!:laugh: