1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting too big....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnguy268, Jan 24, 2007.

1. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

One of my friends just bought a new 32 scag mower--2400$ a red maxx blower- 500. and a echo trimmer 345$ and an open tralier 800$

Thats over $4000.00

when i asked him how many accounts he has he said ill have about 25-50.
    saying that he has only 3 right now but hes gonna "blow up"(make it big) and start making "real cash".

How many of you guys see this happen ?

Or has anyone started this big and did good ?

Im curious to see how this plays out.
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If he is not strapped for the cash he spent, he can do it. As long he gets out there and does alot of advertising.
  3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

i started with a 48''wb exmark 10'trailer,shindiawa weedwacker,and a stihl blower. payed off pretty good so far
  4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

If he is hungry enough, then he will succeed.

$4,000.00 is not a bad budget to start out with. If he has money left over beyond the $4,000.00 he has already spent on equipment, tell him to save it. Because, this time next year, he might be spending $4,000.00 again to double his mowing arsenal. :weightlifter:
  5. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Most buisness don't turn a true "good" profit for 3 years.
    Thats why the IRS will give you 3 years to show them the $$$$$$$$$
    or become a hobby
    The buisness's in my area spent 3x's that the 1st year, and tuened a good profit year 2.......chicken or the egg syndrome........
  6. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

Folks on Long Island don't want to cut there own grass. Both husband and wife work they rather pay someone to do it. If you mow your own lawn your in the minority on Long Island.
  7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

If you cant afford $4000 to start a business, then maybe you should think about something else. I agree he will have to do some advertising
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I spent a little more than that to get started. The way I look at it is either do it....or don't. I refuse to be riding around on a residential mower trying to be professional. To me, that just does not work. Whenever, I see an LCO with residential equipment, they look like hobbyists and I don't want to look like that. But at the same time, I believe you do what you have to do to get started if this is really what you want to do. Luckily I am in a position to afford decent equipment to start my business. Yes, my wife nags me about some of the purchases I have made and make. But if she wasn't nagging about that, she would be nagging about something else. I have been wanting to get in this business since I was 16, I am 30 now and am finally able to afford to do so.
  9. murrayII

murrayII LawnSite Member

I started out last year and dropped $6000 on my mower and trailer.. plus I bought a $225 stihl trimmer... I figure I did pretty good getting most of it paid off last year, and by mid may 07 I will have it all paid for.. everything besides running expenses will be money in the pocket.. I figure I will probably gross another 10-12 thousand this year mowing part time.. not too bad..

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If he can afford it, why not? Even if he can't and has to finance it, well it's a calculated risk...not like he just dropped $100k on equipment...if you can't invest 4 grand into a business without sweating it then you really should not work for yourself.

He is way off on the 'big cash' prediction off of 25-50 customers though :laugh: