starting tree cutting/lawn cleanup business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by josh1981, Jun 4, 2008.

1. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone. I would like to start my own business doing some tree removal/lawn cleanup. Not sure if want full time or part time yet. I am certified in computers so thinking of that as well.

As some of you know we are in a drought in metro atlanta (but the grass is still growing like mad). Any time bad weather comes through trees come down. SO plenty of opportunities.

The equipment I have:

stihl ms180c 14 inch bar
    stihl ms 290 18 and 20 inch bars
    br600 blower
    km55r with edger and pole pruner attatchment
    sh85 blower/vac
    fs45 trimmer
    stihl hand saw, loppers, clippers
    chain saw protective clothes (helmet, shirt, pants)
    good pair of boots and gloves, ear protectors
    good pair of jeans

2006 toyota corolla that can take a small trailer

I dont have the trailer yet, but can fit all this in the car (mind you some stuff on front seat and back seats and trunk)

SO how would I get started?

I have done some work for a few neighbors, they were very happy with results (very professional results)

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Put a winch on the Corolla,remove the trunk lid and build a chip box on it for starters

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Lol..........

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have or are you going to get insurance? if so check to make sure your GL insurance will cove tree damage. Good Luck!

5. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of tree jobs are you looking for in my eyes the small little ones arnt worth it we do tree jobs every weekend almost. How do you plan to do them climb? There is a lot into a Tree Service and in my eyes thats a one and only job but you do have two small saws. Are you going to offer stump grinding? Most tree you cut out of lawns are going to want it grinded. Just a few things to think about if you have more questions feel free to pm me on here..

6. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

Stick to lawn care & maintenance for now until you save up some $ then buy a used 3/4 or 1 ton truck & trailer. It's gonna be a PITA to cut and remove even a medium sized tree w/ that car/trailer combo. Plus, you'll be needing a new transmission before long.

7. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

it sounds like hauling will be an issue......... unless you just bag everything up and leave it on the customers curb .......

8. josh1981

no insurance, I would need to get some. would also need to get pickup truck and trailer. ANd stump grinder.

Guess Ill just stick to what I am doing now. Maybe ill get lucky and get a few more people who just want trimming blowing edging done, maybe small tree removal and throw in back yard to let rot (helped a few neighbors doing this)

whats a good price to charge for this kind of work? and can I get some more people for little bit of edging, blowing, leaf cleanup, small brush and tree removal. I mean would it be hard.

9. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

That might be your best bet right now. We have two dump truck, two bucket trucks, a bobcat and a chipper just for tree jobs and we sub out stump grinding to people we know. But its a great business to get into if you can afford to buy some stuff off the bat..

10. josh1981

sounds good. how do i advertise?