Starting up a mowing business part time. HELP!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Coryhale2002, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Coryhale2002

Coryhale2002 LawnSite Member

I am currently an automotive technician and would like to take a shot at starting up a part time mowing business that eventually I can grow into full time. I have many years of mowing experience as a kid but thats it. I have a truck and am looking into buying some used inexpensive equipment. I would like to keep my debt at $0 so I will be paying cash and starting out small. This way if things don't work out I have nothing to lose. I recently purchased a "How to start your own lawn care business" program but I would like as much info as I can get. I would appreciate any and all tips,tricks, do's and don'ts that anyone can offer. Thanks

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, do a search. This is the most general question possible and is asked almost daily.

3. Coryhale2002

Thanks for help buddy!

4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

buy a good (new) zero turn mower( john deere, ferris, or even a toro) around a 48" get a echo or john deere trimmer a good backpack blower (Red max 8000) and a 21" self-propelled mower buy a 14 or larger trailer because when you expand the trailer will be there for you i use a 16' and a 24' trailer for my 2 trucks. come up with a logo and a great name, buy some yard signs and try to keep up with the demand. don't advertise door to door or newspaper. i started 3 years ago and my sells are in the 6 figures now for only 7 months of mowing

5. Coryhale2002

I found a used Ferris 32" Walk behind for $400. and a used 2005 Echo backpack blower for $150. Are these good brands and prices?? Thanks for the help

6. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

If the Ferris runs buy-it, and thats a great price for a blower. As far as advertising, I agree with the yard signs, I have phone book ads that are pricey, and underpreform signs stuck at busy intersections by far. FYI: Customer service is the most important part of this biz, nothing beats word-of-mouth. Good luck, work hard.

7. Coryhale2002

THanks for the help. I want to run a good honest business, and I think that advertising is Key to sucess. My ideas were flyers, business cards, an internet site, and hopefully build a quick and good reputation. What about insurance?? Is there a good nationwide company? How expensive is it typically?

8. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

website wont sign many people up, most people call, flyers will be your best bang for the buck, but u have to pass out alot, dont expect to pass out 100 and have 50 customers, your not really going to need insurance, genral liability when we start 1 mil coverage was about 1000-1200 a yr. just go to your agent they usually check everyone for that type of insurance. i dont really think you need it, your going to pay more for it working part time than you will even make. you might break a window or something small, we have never needed insurance, only go pick up commercial accounts, but never had a claim, we have broken a glass door once and thats it was 140 to fix just out of pocket.

your equipment questions depend on your area, dont start with a ztr thats ridiculous... if your in a 21" mowed area use that you can bring in 1k a week with a 21 working reg hours. if bigger equipment is whats used a walkbehind like you mentioned will work fine. dont spend over 1000 for any of your start up equipment. if it works you will be able to replace it with 1 or 2 year old units at the begining of next season pretty easily.

good luck tho, pm me if you have any questions, be glad to help

9. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a 2006 exmark 48 inch metro with 50 hours on it forsale. Also comes with a jrco tine rake and a new bagger. Looking for 2400

10. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful what you buy. Last thing you need, is to be riding around with stolen equipment. I had a mower stolen 6 months ago and found it last week. Called the police, he said he bought, whatever, he went downtown with possession of stolen property. Anyway, good luck