Starting up again

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bigrig1, Jun 3, 2005.

1. bigrig1

bigrig1 LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    I'm located in the midwest and used to have a pretty busy part time mowing business. I had 18-20 clients in the suburbs located within a 3 mile radius for about 4 years. I had no contracts, had no complaints and lost very few accounts from year to year. I was thinking about getting back in the business but this time going full time. I have no doubt I can pick up a lot of residence mowing at $35-40 per home, but I was wondering on the average, is it realistic to think I could get many homeowners to go with full maintenance type agreements (that would include mowing)that would add up yo over $1,500 plus per year.

This would include doing mulching, fert. & herbicide applications, spring & fall clean up, areation, renovations, irrigation start up & shut down(subcontracted out), shrubbery trimmed, etc. This stuff is normal for commercial accounts but do homeowners panic when they see a yearly bid showing all these costs added up?

Also I would need to net around 30k the first year after all expenses including any help I hire. Is this realistic? I know it would of been a good idea to quit my day job before when I was mowing part time as I it would have been a safer move but I don't have that luxury now. Am I nuts?

Appreciate any responses

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

$40 per cut with 30 cuts is $1200 for mowing alone. I would say its highly doable.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Full service at that price seems almost too cheap. If the properties are not postage size lawns to throw in mulch and hedge trimming would scare me. Let alone weed control and fert.

4. bigrig1

bigrig1 LawnSite Member

What I really meant is that the $1500 figure was an average of a different mix of services but not all the services. Is it better to get the mowing & fert business w/ homeowners and hit them up for the other maintenance as needed? I'm not trying to be sneaky but want to get my foot in the door.

Appreciate any reoplies.

5. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a lawn or fert client and they like your work they will ask you to do all the extras like mulch, hedges etc. more times than not.

Doesn't hurt to let them know that you do other things. I used to put a list of additional services on my invoices as a gentle reminder. Works like a charm.

6. bigrig1

bigrig1 LawnSite Member

Good idea.

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If you do fire it all up and need an irrigation ONLY sub :)

8. bigrig1

bigrig1 LawnSite Member

I would need one. Forward me your name, co. name & phone #. Do you do work N. of the river?