Starting Up Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag52, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Scag52

Scag52 LawnSite Member

I'm 15 years old and I live in Northern Ohio. For the past 3 years i have been cutting lawns with a 52" Scag and it has a velkey. I also have a shindaiwa weed wacker which i edge with and i also leaf blow. Right now i am cutting 7 of my neighbors lawns for $22 a piece. I make straight lines with my mower and do a great job at edging. I am thinking about expanding my small business it about 15-18 lawn next summer (I will be able to drive next year!). Do you have any tips for me to expand? Thank you!
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of us started this way. One thing to think about with your age is that you will need your parents to get an insurance policy for you. If something happens while your mowing, and they find out your a minor, they will be coming after your parents. Good for you for asking and wanting to be an entrepreneur. Advertise in your area with flyers, and charge a fair price. In my area I get $20 for small 1500 - 2000 SF yards. You want to be competitive but not a cheapy. When your mower breaks or need repairs you want to have some cash to stay afloat.
  3. Scag52

Scag52 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was told to get insurance. If i do expand next year I will probably get insurance. What exactly does insurance cover? Im guessing it covers damage done to yards and property (which in the three years I have been in business I have never done any damage except make ruts in the yard). Also, if I get insurance will i have to stop getting paid "under the table"?
  4. LawnSite Senior Member

Technically, you would have to stop getting paid under the table if u wanted the insurance. Right now, if they pay you under the table and they know they are without paying the tax and no receipt, they really can't complain if you break something....because technically you are not working on their property at all.

Now I would get insurance, collect tax and pay tax. With the amount of lawns you have and your would get most of it back at the end anywase.