Starting up in Michigan

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nickdurk, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nickdurk

nickdurk LawnSite Member

I'm in Dearborn Heights area, wheres the best place for insurance?

Also, I'm worried about not getting any customers because its so late in the year. We ordered magnets for the truck and business cards, next will be fliers.

Has anyone had a real hard time getting jobs???

please any advise will help..

Thanks,
    Nick D.

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Hand out all the flyers you can. You can still pick up work.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck. In MI, starting a business right now is going to take some hard work and lots of luck. Any local independant insurance agent should be able to help you.

4. nickdurk

nickdurk LawnSite Member

Grassmechanic, I run my own powerwashing company, And I'm want to get into this business but it seems like everybody is doing it.. Are you still getting jobs?

5. Grassmechanic

Oh yah, everybody is doing it - all the laid off auto workers now have a truck, trailer and mower.

I'm very busy, best year so far, but all my new work (mostly irrigation repair) is from word of mouth.

6. nickdurk

nickdurk LawnSite Member

It seems like where in the same area, so if you have any advice, or a used walk behind for sell let me know... thanks man

7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Your best bet is to wait until march next year and pass out fliers. Way Too Late! Plus your in a market that is swamped with new companys or say new lawnguys. Dont do it, well not this year.

8. nickdurk

nickdurk LawnSite Member

Moose,

I should start putting our name out there, right? I know it wont pick up until next year but its never to early for advertizing.. We already have the trailer, weedeaters, and blowers. Working on getting a w/b mower.

9. Grassmechanic

A lot of the guys that are now mowing for $10-$15 a lawn will have figured that the lawn business wasn't the right decision for them. By next spring, you'll be able to buy their mowers from them.

10. nickdurk

nickdurk LawnSite Member

Do they put them on ebay?