1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Starting up part time in the spring -- what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheLugNutZ, Nov 12, 2013.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't wait on the website. If you get it up now and do what you can to start ranking well on google you might be able to get a good bit of calls from that alone in the spring. Worked well for me this first year, i wouldnt have near as many customers as i do now without the website. Combine that with passing out your cards/magnets and the word will get out there.

2. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree. Im working on a name (have one, just need to register it) and Im going to also register the domain name tonight for the web site. Time to start working on a logo so i can get the site/cards/magnets up and running. I also want to get a few polo shirts made with the logo/name on it.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

This............

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to see it works for others. CL, IMO is a great way get business and FREE advertising.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

3 years of only CL and works fine for me

you must have a nice clean ad to stand from the rest of the crowd

and a FB page is a must as well with pictures and updates specials etc

6. TheLugNutZ

Can any of you Jersey guys chime in on insurance costs? Im an insurance agent and we cant do start-up contractors anymore, so I got a quote from a broker local and she only shopped me to Selective. It was like $1300 a year w/ $5000 of mobile tool/equip coverage $1mill liab. Seems a bit steep.. I thought my company wasnt cheap and we would be ~$900 if I was elig.. I know as a start up its going to be more, but I really dont have the time to call 100 different companies, really trying to see if there are a few particular ones I should focus on..

TIA

7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I'm in MD and mine is about the same. It sucks. This whole "legit" thing isn't fun.

8. TheLugNutZ

Yeah I kind of anticipated around a grand. It is what it is.... now just gotta pick up some work. Someone reached out to me this week to spread 4 yard of mulch and clear some brush from a 75x10 area. Only thing that sucks is he is an hour away and I cant haul mulch that far so he is going to have it delivered and im just going to do the labor. I really need to go see it b/c Im not so sure about the brush clearing by hand...

9. burtle

burtle LawnSite Senior Member

How's everything going so far ?

10. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

My accountant wanted me to go LLC. Lawyer wanted me to go INC. In the end I went INC. I would probably sell the SUV and get a truck if it were me. I use stihl br55 blowers. They are cheap and work just fine. I just got into backpacks after 4 years and that was to help with fall cleanup. Got a redmax 7500. I doubt I'll bring that out again until next fall. The little handhelds are what I prefer rather than strapping on a big backpack to blow a few blades of grass. I have a stihl kombi. Use it for tall hedge trimming and have a couple other attachments but not as a grass trimmer. I have a couple echo srm-220's also going on 4 years. Much lighter. My liability and worker comp which also covers snow plowing is 6k a year.