Starting up tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Scag52, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Scag52

Scag52 LawnSite Member

I'm 15 years old and I live in Northern Ohio. For the past 3 years i have been cutting lawns with a 52" Scag and it has a velkey. I also have a shindaiwa weed wacker which i edge with and i also leaf blow. Right now i am cutting 7 of my neighbors lawns for $22 a piece. I make straight lines with my mower and do a great job at edging. I am thinking about expanding my small business it about 15-18 lawn next summer (I will be able to drive next year!). Do you have any tips for me to expand? Thank you!
  2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

:) :) :) :) :)
  3. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Stay away from the girls Scag! At least don't have a favorite! :p

They'll eat up your cash flow for future operating capital and expenditures! But hey, you'll be just like the rest of us and get hooked up and women will be your biggest overall expense.

*** I had a person tell me this when I was your age and I promised him one day I would pass it on even if I didn't heed his sage advice. You do the same my friend. I'm 40+ now... :::sigh::: If only I had listened to him... :cry:
  4. Scag52

Scag52 LawnSite Member

Oh fo sho ace, girls just get in the way
  5. Scag52

Scag52 LawnSite Member

Business in the past 3 weeks has been going good for me, not to much rain, 70 degree weather and lots of sun. Then came Sunday, April 24. We got a foot and a half of snow. That was outa no where. (Atleast I got a snow day at school) Right now business is slow but i figure in a day or two it will be back to normal.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you are a minor, not in business, get an adult to be your partner, get insurance now, and are you charging sales tax, no , you need a vendors license... are you claming your income.....
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

try to go legal as soon as you can (all the other guys in ohio are going to freak on you cuz your stealing their business a few hours away :p j/k) get one of your parents or a older brother or someone to be your partner in the business and have them get it all legit. all you need is to register the name (sole prop 50 bucks LLC 125) if you go LLC you need a employer identification number and then file for the service vendors lisence thats 25 you need that to collect taxes. And finally get insurance. Talk with an acountant and he'll hook you up with all the forms (my acountant is a friend and did it all for $20 so i didnt mess it up) and he can give you some pointers on the business as for taxes.

I'm not sure how you intend on expanding until your 16, unless you drive your mower to your lawns haha, but when you do expand blanket your neighbor hood with flyers or doorhangers, i'm sure you could easily get the amount from around your neighborhood if people know that you live in the area and you have good equipment and do a nice job.
  8. Dixie Pro Lawn Care

Dixie Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

He could get a DC (fast) and mount a trimmer rack and blower rack to the back I guess. :D
  9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Laughing my grass off Pagefault!!!!!!
  10. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

Don't let your age stop you man. Other businesses don't like 'scrubs' who run without insurance and lowball the competition. Nobody can knock you for being young. I would get legit as suggested above by getting a legal adult to 'own' the company and secure insurance, etc. and pay your taxes. If that is being done, you WILL have to charge like the rest of us, but perhaps lower due to your likely lower overhead. Go for it.